Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Something Blue by Emily Giffin

Title: Something Blue
Author: Emily Giffin
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Source: Library


What's the Story:

From Goodreads.com: "Darcy Rhone thought she had it all figured out: the more beautiful the girl, the more charmed her life. Never mind substance. Never mind playing by the rules. Never mind karma. But Darcy's neat, perfect world turns upside down when her best friend, Rachel, the plain-Jane good girl, steals her fiance, while Darcy finds herself completely alone for the first time in her life with a baby on the way.
Darcy tries to recover, fleeing to her childhood friend living in London and resorting to her tried-and-true methods for getting what she wants. But as she attempts to recreate her glamorous life on a new continent, Darcy finds that her rules no longer apply.
It is only then that Darcy can begin her journey toward self-awareness, forgiveness, and motherhood. Something Blue is a novel about one womans surprising discoveries about the true meaning of friendship, love, and happily-ever-after. It's a novel for anyone who has ever, even secretly, wondered if the last thing you want is really the one thing you need."


My Two Cents:

In Something Borrowed, we were introduced to Rachel and Darcy, two women that have been friends for ages. Rachel is painted as a nice girl who tolerates Darcy's antics and Darcy is definitely full of antics. At the end of SoBo, Darcy is pregnant with a baby that does not belong to her fiance. Her pending marriage is called off and Darcy's life is not as perfect or as easy anymore. Darcy flees to London to make a new life for herself, all while crashing in her childhood friend, Ethan's small flat. 


I loved Something Borrowed but I wasn't sure that I was going to like Something Blue as much as I didn't really like Darcy, as she did some pretty deplorable things in Something Borrowed. Something Blue is more a story of a woman realizing that sometimes everything isn't going to be handed to you on a silver platter nor that it should be. It took me about 150 pages to start feeling a little bit for Darcy but eventually I really fell in love with the character.


This is a sweet escape. While it's not necessary to read Something Borrowed before you read Something Blue as SoBl rehashes a lot of what happened in SoBo, it would still be a good idea to read SoBo first as it really builds up who Darcy was before she had her epiphany.


Bottom line, this book is a lot of fun!


My Review:
4 out of 5 stars

8 comments:

  1. I love when an author makes sure you don't have to read the first book to get the next one :) This book sounds pretty good, I always really enjoy the bratty pretty girl getting kicked down a bit and learning her lesson. Thanks for the great review :)


    -Kate the Book Buff
    The Book Buff: Book Reviews for Regular People

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great beach read! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have looked curiously at these books a million times...so I'm so glad you reviewed them. Perhaps I should add them both to my TBR.

    Thanks for reviewing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great summer read. I think I will take your suggestion and read Something Borrowed first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Stacey Donaldson The covers are very striking. I had looked at them a lot before actually picking them up as well!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...