Adichie gave a rousing talk that touched on everything from feminism to storytelling.
Here are some of my favorite quotes from her talk:
- "I revisited Purple Hibiscus and realized, I'm no longer that writer. But I also thought, 'not bad...'"
- "Violence can breed silence."
- "It's very easy to dispense advice when you don't have to follow it."
- "If a child has both parents, a child deserves to actually have both parents." on parental equality
- "We have to name a problem in order to solve it."
- "Lots of women give up and give in when it comes to expecting fathers to take an equal share in child rearing"
- "Feminism is not just for women. If we lived in a feminist world, both men and women would benefit."
- "Dissent is not treason."
- "So to prevent violence, which I don't condone, I don't read reviews."
- "I think there are some things that are too big to forgive."
It was a great night for this bookworm!