Friday, June 10, 2011

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Title: Bossypants
Author: Tina Fey
Publisher: Little, Brown, and Company
Source: Library



What's the Story?:
From Goodreads.com: "In her acceptance speech for Mark Twain Prize for American Humor, Tina Fey announced that she was proud to make her home in "the 'not-real America'." It is perhaps that healthy sense of incongruity that makes the head writer, executive producer, and star of NBC's Emmy Award-winning 30 Rock such a cogent observer of the contemporary scene. Bossypants, her entertaining new memoir, shows that strangeness has been her constant companion. Fey's stories about her childhood in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania are only appetizers for LOL forays into her college disasters, honeymoon catastrophes, and Saturday Night Live shenanigans. Most funny read of the month; the best possible weekend update."

My Two Cents:
There are just some books that you shouldn't read in public. Some because they have embarrassing covers. Some because they make you cry. And some, like Bossypants, that make you laugh until you cry. Let's just say that I'm very glad that I read this book mostly in the comfort of my home. I laughed a lot and hard. I had to keep reading parts out loud to the Husband so he could see what I was rolling on the floor about.


In this fairly short book (ahem, too short for my liking), Fey goes through her dorky childhood and her road to comedy stardom. Fey has some very funny anecdotes. I really liked hearing about her honeymoon. I don't want to give anyway but Murphy's Law was definitely in play during her honeymoon. I also really liked the story behind her coming back to SNL to play Sarah Palin, by far one of the funniest impressions that I've ever seen anyone do.

Fey also briefly touches on some of the sexism present in the comedy business. It was something I was slightly aware of but I wish she would have gone into more detail. She says that it's present but doesn't really say how she coped.

Bottom line, this book made  me giggle, chortle, laugh and guffaw. I think it can be very difficult to write funny things but Fey has a way of writing that is absolutely hilarious. Fair Warning: If you don't want to be stared at in public, keep your reading of this book limited to your own couch.

My Review:
4 out of 5 Stars

3 comments:

  1. Next, you should listen to the audio of this one! It's even MORE hilarious!!

    Mickey @ imabookshark.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am waiting for my turn for the audio at the library. I need a good chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog and absolutely love it! Great reviews. :) I'm adding "Bossypants" to my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...