Saturday, June 4, 2011

Double Book Review: If I Stay and Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Title: If I Stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Publisher: Dutton Books
Source: Library

Title: Where She Went
Author: Gayle Forman
Publisher: Dutton Books
Source: Library



What's the Story:

If I Stay

From Goodreads.com: "In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck... A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands."

Where She Went

From Goodreads.com: "Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future–and each other.Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance."

My Two Cents:

I had seen a lot of buzz about both of these books so I was very excited when I went to my local library and both of the books were in at the same time! I decided to pick both up to give them a read. I was in the car a lot this past weekend and got through them very quickly. If I Stay has a very interesting plotline (a girl watches over her body in the hospital while straddling the line between life and death and ultimately being brought back to love). Where She Went fulfills the desire that I often have of seeing what happens to the characters that I really like after a story ends. I really, really liked the characters of Mia and Adam and wasn't ready to let them go after If I Stay.

If you can, get both of these books together and read them one right after the other. They're definitely separate books. If I Stay was a good, solid choice but reading Where She Went right after really made the whole thing soar!

My Review:
4 out of 5 stars

Have any of you read these books? What do you think about reading them together?

6 comments:

  1. They both sound good, glad you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved If I Stay, and just picked up Where She Went from the library so I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens with Mia and Adam. ~ Jen @ A Book and a Latte

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed If I Stay thoroughly, but all the negative reviews about Where She Went made me wonder if I should read it. After reading your review, I feel like I SHOULD give it a shot!

    Felicia
    anovelparadise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jen @ A Book and a Latte They're very different books but I always like when you get to find out what happens to some of the characters that you love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Felicia C Don't get me wrong; they are very different books. What I liked about Where She Went is that it makes for a good ending to the story begun in If I Stay.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...