Thursday, June 16, 2011

Booking Through Thursday (7): All About Ebooks


This week's question is

With the advent (and growing popularity) of eBooks, I’m seeing more and more articles about how much “better” they can be, because they have the option to be interactive … videos, music, glossaries … all sorts of little extra goodies to help “enhance” your reading experience, rather like listening to the Director’s commentary on a DVD of your favorite movie.

How do you feel about that possibility? Does it excite you in a cutting-edge kind of way? Or does it chill you to the bone because that’s not what reading is ABOUT?

Oh boy, call me a purist but when I want to read, I read. I don't want any of the fancy bells and whistles. I like using my own imagination when it comes to thinking about a book. I think these special features like video and music would take away from the experience of reading. If I want to listen to music or watch a video, I would do just that instead of reading.

The only reason that I own an ebook reader (my Kindle, which now that I have it, I love) is that I got it for a gift. I was very apprehensive to read on something that didn't feel like one of my beloved paper filled books. Ebook readers definitely have their place though. I commute a lot and it's nice for my commute and it's also very nice to travel with but I still don't think that I would be particularly interested in any of these so-called advanced features...

What say you?

23 comments:

  1. I tend to agree with you that I read books because they are BOOKS, not interactive games with video clips and whatnot embedded in them. I get enough of that with Angry Birds! :) I do like my ereader and ebooks though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you, I would not want anything extra like music or videos. I think they would be distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have both print books and an e-reader, now, but one does not replace the other. There are good things about each.

    Here's MY THURSDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our answers are very similar! Wow I just caught your reading challenge for the year! You are rocking it out! WOW!

    My Answer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everyone ahead of my comment. I have a nook. i love it however I use it only when im going to be away for over a weekend from my laptop and all i want it for is reading and traveling by air,train or cruise as to limit space in luggage, excellent. its like stairs and escalators. both beneficial but each serves its purpose with out eliminating the other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your first line - my sentiments exactly. I pick up a book because I want to read the story. The end. I don't need a detour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you said it perfectly. I feel very much the same about my Kindle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wholeheartedly agree! I've read a few ebooks with these "extras" and have always completely ignored them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you. I don't need the extra's but I love my readers :lol:

    http://badassbookreviews.com/2011/06/16/booking-through-thursday-interactive-btt/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I personally don't find this concept interesting, but as long as these enhancements dont become a requirement to understand the story, I don't mind haveing the option. Some books I might want to take part in these enhancements and others not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have downloaded a few vooks. They seem great for people who have already read the book or poem and are REALLY into it, but they're very distracting. I just want to read the book if I'm reading it for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really perfer print books over ebooks. I will grab an ebook if its sent to me free or a book I can't find elsewhere but I would rather curl up on the lounge with my novel. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. @booksNyarn I love my Kindle too but I prefer the experience of an actual book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Anne I'm not even sure I would look at any of the enhancements!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Lisa (Lisa's World of Books) Yeah, I'm doing pretty good. I think I may have to increase my target!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Sidne,the BCR For sure, there's definitely pros and cons to both!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @FBT I think I would get annoyed with the detours!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @celawerdblog Yes, I guess if they didn't take away from the story then having the option wouldn't be bad.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @heidenkind Yes, I could see the extras being a good thing if you really liked the book. I just wouldn't be interested off the bat.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Just one page at a time Me too! There's something cozy about cuddling up with a book!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...