Friday, May 24, 2013

Review: The Promise of Stardust by Priscille Sibley

Title: The Promise of Stardust
Author: Priscille Sibley
Format: Paperback
Publisher: William Morrow
Publish Date: February 5, 2013
Source: Library


Why You're Reading This Book:
  • You're a fiction fan.
  • You like stories about ethics.
  • You want a page turner.
 What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Matt Beaulieu was two years old the first time he held Elle McClure in his arms, seventeen when he first kissed her under a sky filled with shooting stars, and thirty-three when he convinced her to marry him. Now in their late 30s, the deeply devoted couple has everything-except the baby they've always wanted.
When an accident leaves Elle brain dead, Matt is devastated. Though he cannot bear the thought of life without her, he knows Elle was afraid of only one thing-a slow death. And so, Matt resolves to take her off life support.

But Matt changes his mind when they discover Elle's pregnant. While there are no certainties, the baby might survive if Elle remains on life support. Matt's mother, Linney, disagrees with his decision. She loves Elle, too, and insists that Elle would never want to be kept alive on machines. Linney is prepared to fight her son in court-armed with Elle's living will.

Divided by the love they share, Matt and Linney will be pitted against each other, fighting for what they believe is right, and what they think Elle would have wanted resulting in a controversial legal battle that will ultimately go beyond one family . . . and one single life."


My Two Cents: 

I finished this book on a Friday and by Saturday, I had already told four people that they absolutely needed to read this book. That is definitely the mark of a really good book. Oh man, this book tore at my emotions so much. I was actually very glad that I finished this book at home because I was bawling by the end of the book and crying on the Metro sort of scares people, guys.

Anyhow, this is the kind of book that you both want to get through quickly so you can find out what happens but you want to savor at the same time because it's tearing you up so bad. At certain points, this book was a little hard for me to get through emotionally because of the moral/ethical topics within the book but I think some of the author's point was to make the reader think a little bit about what they would do if they found themselves in Matt's situation where their significant other is dying but you could make a decision that has a small chance at bringing new life into the world at the risk of further degradation of your significant other. It's not an easy choice. I think I know what I would want my husband to do if I found myself in Elle's situation but I'm still not 100% sure and that's sort of the beauty of this book is that even after you're done reading it, it sticks with you and continues to make you think.

I really like that this book was told from Matt's perspective as it really helped pull me into the book. You get to see where he's coming from and why he makes the decisions that he makes. You get to see what his and Elle's relationship was like before she passed away and how what she did in her life is affecting her so close to the end. I love that we get to see the whole love story between Elle and Matt and their childhoods together. You are pulling so hard for these characters because you really begin to feel like you know them.

This book is perfect for those readers that like family stories, love stories, twists, drama, thinking long and hard about situations in books, medical dramas, etc. This book most definitely has a wide appeal. In a way, this book sort of reminds me of some of Jodi Picoult's books like "My Sister's Keeper" with the moral/ ethical issues. I am certain that this is going to be one of my favorite books of the year!


  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...