Friday, May 31, 2013

Armchair BEA: Ethics and Non-Fiction In All Its Forms


Ethics:

I think one of the biggest duties that a book blogger has to their audience is to be honest in all aspects. Ethics come into play here.

There are a couple things I do to keep myself on the straight and narrow:
  •  I will tell you if I bought it, borrowed it from the library, or received it from someone. 
  • When I accept books for review, I make sure that I tell whoever is giving me the book that my review will be honest and that may mean that I say that I didn't like the book.
  • I will not review a book if I have not finished it because that is not fair to my readers.
  • I never accept reviews for payment as it could create a bias.
These are fairly simple things to do but they are so important in the long run!


Non-fiction: 

Today we are talking about our love for non-fiction books! I love non-fiction books. One of the big reasons that I read is to learn something. I love non-fiction in so many different subjects but some of my favorites are in history, politics, memoirs, and biographies.

One non-fiction book that I am especially looking forward to reading is (and I just picked it up from the library):


Here's a couple of good non-fiction books that I've read lately:




Do you read non-fiction? What are your favorite kinds of non-fiction?

15 comments:

  1. I like not reviewing books you don't/can't finish. Great rule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your ethics. And I do the same, pretty much.
    I do post about a DNF saying why I dropped it, but only rate books I've finished, not DNF-s. That makes sense to me.

    You're right, these kinds of things make a big difference in the long run! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post about a DNF on Goodreads (I have a DNF shelf actually) but not here!

      Delete
  3. I like your rules for your reviews.

    Iron Curtain has been on my TBR list for a while. I read Applebaum's 'Gulag' and really enjoyed it, I'm hoping this one is as good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and I'm hoping to read the Amanda Knox book soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like an interesting list! I haven't heard of any of these. I tend to read mainly memoirs in NF, unless one of my books groups chooses nonfiction. I used to think I didn;t like NF until I joined book groups!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the post. I follow the same rules when it comes to reviews and ethics and appreciate knowing what others use for guidelines. As to non-fiction, I read tons for research purposes and rarely review those. For pleasure I tend to read biographies and science books with a little humor thrown in now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to do "first look" type reviews where I would review just the first fifty to hundred pages (depending on the length), but I realized that sometimes a book can seriously die after that and I would hate for readers to judge a book based off the first few chapter.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think a lot of times you have to know everything you're working with in order to write a telling review.

      Delete
  8. Very interesting books. I love non-fiction, especially about World War II.
    http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...