Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Armchair BEA: Being a Better Blogger and Genre Fiction!

Pathways to Better Blogging:

Today, we're talking about how to be a better blogger. I don't know if I know the ultimate answers to that but I'll tell you what I know. I know that you have to be yourself and you have to do what you love.



If you aren't loving what you're doing, why do it in the first place. Book blogging is supposed to be fun. Once it stops being fun, you know that you either need a break or you need to figure out a new game plan for making it fun again.

Book blogging should make you feel like this, you guys!
If you aren't having fun, your audience isn't going to be having any fun, which is just not any... well... fun.

Genre Fiction:

If you hang around here for any length of time, you may figure out rather quickly that I love historical fiction. It is by far my favorite kind of genre fiction! I'm a history buff and I love reading fictionalized tales of historical people and events. Even though its fiction, a lot of times, it is a great introduction to a new person, place, or time. All of these people and places are so exciting for me!

I joined my local chapter of the Historical Novel Society (Chesapeake Bay chapter), which has been a great way for me to socialize with other people who share an affinity for historical fiction. I am also attending the Historical Novel Society Conference in St. Petersburg, FL in June for the first time. I cannot wait!

I bet Marie Antoinette is getting ready to settle down with a good historical fiction book.
What's your favorite kind of genre fiction?

16 comments:

  1. Love your use of GIFs. Especially Ewan McGregor ones. Your header is beautiful too. Overall a great looking blog.

    tanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. How to be a better blogger is a loaded question, but I really liked your answer. Being yourself is key. I also love historical fiction and the places it can take you. Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, Moulin Rouge. *swoon* LOVE that movie.

    Second, I enjoyed reading your take on how to be a better book blogger. I'm a baby book blogger and it's so easy to be discouraged when I see people with 354864152168 followers and I'm sitting here with 6. But they are my 6! And they like me for me, so that's all I can ask. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for historical fiction! Your Marie Antoinette gif, reminded me of the Tudor novels by Philippa Gregory that I absolutely love. Maybe it's time to re-read them.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, if you don't love blogging then why do it? I used to hate historical fiction, but I've started finding ones I enjoy. I prefer fantasy myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that enjoyment of what you're doing is a key part of success as a blogger.

    I selected historical fiction as one of my favourite genres, too (my other favourite is fantasy). I love history and novels that incorporate real historical figures and events are my preference since I like to learn a thing or two about the past as I'm reading (historical accuracy is very important to me as a reader).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you about making sure blogging is fun. When I get overwhelmed with it, I take a quick break and then come back when I'm ready.

    I love historical fiction, too, especially anything to do with the Tudors!

    My Blogger Development
    My Genre Fiction post

    ReplyDelete
  8. Book blogging IS fun! But I also try to be responsible about it -- giving my real thoughts and true reviews to my readers. Our "job" is to help readers find the books they will love. And THAT is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love any genre, I just look for interesting stories and great characters. I love your views on making the blog fun!

    my armchair BEA post

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the GIFs in this post, they are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely! Book blogging should be fun and not boring, or feel like work. Most bloggers aren't paid, but we all value our work....and can't get enough of reading!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree... HAVE FUN!! Though sometimes I do stress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree! As soon as blogging begins to feel more like 'work' than 'play', you should probably step back and figure out things or you're going to end up burned out. Unless you like working more than playing...then I guess it works for you. *shrugs* Lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blogging shouldn't become a job! Totally agree. I'm a student about to go to high school and it's going to be hell for me to try and keep a consistent flow of posts on my blog and I don't want it to become a burden either. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but I'll probably figure it out. I stepped back this month and probably for the rest of June because I have Provincial exams to study for anyways!

    Leanne @ Escaping With Books

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great advice! If blogging isn't fun (and stress free), something needs to change. I love historical fiction, particularly early 20th century.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...