Monday, July 16, 2012

TLC Book Tour Stop: The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Title: The Prisoner of Heaven
Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Format: Ebook
Publisher: Harper Collins
Publish Date: July 10, 2012
Source: TLC Book Tours






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a fiction fan.
  • You like a bit of a mystery.
  • You've read the other books in this series.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Barcelona,1957. It is Christmas, and Daniel Sempere and his wife Bea have much to celebrate. They have a beautiful new baby son named Julian, and their close friend Fermín Romero de Torres is about to be wed. But their joy is eclipsed when a mysterious stranger visits the Sempere bookshop and threatens to divulge a terrible secret that has been buried for two decades in the city's dark past. His appearance plunges Fermín and Daniel into a dangerous adventure that will take them back to the 1940's and the dark early days of Franco's dictatorship. The terrifying events of that time launch them on a journey fraught with jealousy, suspicion, vengeance, and lies, a search for the truth that will put into peril everything they love and ultimately transform their lives."

My Two Cents: 

The Prisoner of Heaven is the third installment in this series by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. This series is a little different in that you are supposed to be able to read the books in any order and still be able to "get" the story. I think you can do that but I think that it would behoove you to read all of the books. I read Shadows of the Wind several years ago (perhaps even in high school but I don't quite remember) and I loved it. Unfortunately, I feel like I might have not remembered a couple things from Shadows of the Wind that would have been helpful when diving into this book. Even though you don't need to read the books, I think that I would have liked this book a little more and would have gotten more out of it had I read all of the books (and I would probably read them in order but that's just the way I am with books that are connected to each other).

Anyhow, one thing that I loved about this book is the writing. I think that translations can sometimes be difficult to read but this is a fabulous version. Also, I think that Zafon, himself, is just a master storyteller. He really has a way of engaging the reader that's really cool.

I couldn't help but to feel that I was missing things by not reading the other books (or at least not having read them recently). I feel like in this book, you dive right into the story. I kind of wish that you got to know the other characters a little bit better.

Bottom line: Still a good story but you should read the other two books first. In fact, I might go back and do that myself.






 

12 comments:

  1. I read the first one, but it was a several years ago, so I'm not sure I remember much except that it was well written. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book definitely made me want to go back and read the other ones!

      Delete
  2. I have had Shadows of the Wind on my TBR list for a long time and have just never gotten around to reading it. I am sure I would enjoy this one but I will take your advice and read the other books first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good. I want to go back and read the other books!

      Delete
  3. i READ THE FIRST ONE, LOVED IT, AND GAVE A COPY OF THE SECOND TO MY SON, WHO DIDN'T LIKE IT HOWEVER AS IT WAS TOO SUPERNATURAL FOR HIM. i MUST TAKE THAT BOOK BACK AND READ IT. IF I COULD ONLY GET TO L.A.!!

    (sorry for the caps; started typing before I realized I was in upper case)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like an interesting story. The setting is spectacular and different. A story of revenge and adventure. I am curious about how it will end. You did a nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read one of these some time ago and really enjoyed it - although it was hard getting into. I'd like to read them all in one go if I ever get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still can't believe I have never read this author before. One day I really must give him a try. I have Shadow of the Wind on my TBR and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been meaning to read Shadow of the Wind for quite some time. I think I have the audio book on hold at the library - hopefully I can get started on this series soon!

    Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...