Monday, July 30, 2012

Odds and Ends (3): The Not My Birthday Edition

This past weekend, we celebrated my husband's birthday. He's been super, super busy with work lately so it was important to me that he had a really nice day. We had breakfast at our local diner, which was really nice. On our walk home, we saw the mayor of DC doing a ribbon cutting for our neighborhood's new streetscape project. I love happening upon things like this!

My photo: Mayor Gray and our council member .
Next, we went to Hillwood Estates, which was the home of Marjorie Merriwether Post, heir to the Post Cereal and General Foods fortunes. She had a wonderful house and gardens right off of Rock Creek Park, a park that runs through the center of Washington, DC. Her grounds are so spacious and quiet that you would never know that you were still in the middle of our Nation's Capital! Her house is filled with lots of French and Russian art that she collected as a diplomat's wife. There are some really amazing things in her collection.

I want to live here.
We also saw The Dark Knight Rises. We went to a theatre close to us that has been open since at least the 1920s. It's a great place to see a movie! It has the huge red velvet seats and a balcony. It feels a little bit glamorous to see a movie there. I absolutely loved the movie! Although I was definitely a little jumpy throughout the movie as I couldn't help but to think of what happened in Colorado.

This weekend, I've been watching tons and tons of the Olympics. I liked the opening ceremony for the most part (the ode to NHS was a tiny bit strange to me but hey- if you're happy with your healthcare system... maybe you should celebrate or something...).

The lolcats have more ideas for Olympic events.

What's going on in your corner of the world?

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a nice weekend. We have been busy playing catch up after our long vacation. My daughter's 18th BD is Tuesday and I have been busy planning that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great time! We just had our vacation in D.C. a few weeks ago and we had so much fun! I cannot believe how many things we were able to see in four days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing is that a lot of the really cool stuff to see in DC is very centrally located!

      Delete
  3. Hi Meg, sounds like you have a terrific weekend. Glad your husband had a nice birthday.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...