Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Review: Magnus Opum by Jonathan Gould

Title: Magnus Opum
Author: Jonathan Gould
Format: Ebook
Publisher: Self-published
Publish Date: April 1, 2012
Source: I received a copy from the author; however, this did not affect my review.






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a fiction fan.
  • You're looking for a story off the beaten path.

What's the Story?: 

From Goodreads.com: "Magnus Mandalora never thought he would leave the safe confines of the small homely village of Lower Kertoob. He certainly never expected to end up in the middle of a long-running war between the saintly Cherines and the beastly Glurgs. But when circumstance places him in such a dubious position, he finds himself on a rollicking adventure where nothing is quite as it seems."

My Two Cents:

This will mark my third Jonathan Gould book. I now know that when I open a book by Gould, I'm in for an adventure. I know that I'm going to read something totally original, endlessly creative, and interesting. I know that it's probably going to be unlike anything else that I've ever read. There are a lot of good books out there but if you are looking for something like you've never read before, check out Magnus Opum (or Gould's other books for that matter). You most definitely will not be disappointed.

Magnus Opum is checks all those boxes. What I loved most about this book is probably all of the different creatures. Gould has quite the imagination. The description of the borse cracked me up. Borses are a mix of cows and pigs and everyone fights for theirs to be the largest. Just the thought of that was hilarious to me.

Okay, I also loved the satire. Gould has a sort of dry sense of wit that is very funny to me. And well, I also really liked the way that Gould plays with language. At points, this book reads an awful lot like a Dr. Seuss book for grown ups if Dr. Seuss dealt with higher subject matter and didn't rhyme as much. Oh and this is definitely a compliment.

Bottom line: This book has a little something for most anyone!


  

2 comments:

  1. i've never come across Gould's books before. The idea of people fighting over getting the biggest borse does sound funny. I'm still trying to figure out what something that is part pig part cow would look like.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...