Friday, July 20, 2012

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Format: Hardcover
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Publish Date: January 3, 2012
Source: Library




Why You're Reading This Book:
  • You're a young adult fiction fan.
  • You're a sci-fi fan.
  • You're a dystopian fan.
  • You love great world-building.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, the ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future."


My Two Cents:

is is the kind of book that you will be torn as whether you want to throw it against the wall or turn down the lights while hugging it and crying gently into your pillow after you finish it (wait, is that just me?).

Why I wanted to throw it against the wall: First, I am sorry that I waited so long to read this book. Second, Ms. Meyer, do you think it's really fair to us readers to write a fantastic book and then make us wait another year until the next book??? No, it's not fair. To make matters worse, I have to wait a couple years for the third and fourth books to come back. It's books like this that make me wait until the entire series comes out before I start reading them. I have to know what happens!!! And I really like instant gratification; I really, really like instant gratification.

Why I wanted to hug the book and gently cry into my pillow: I loved these characters, like really, really loved these characters. Cinder is awesome. Iko is awesome. Oh and Ms. Meyer, you made me tear up a little over an android. I cannot say that I've had that experience since watching Wall*E (poor Iko!). Queen Levana is a fantastic villain. She's creepy and has a huge dose of mystery. I can't wait to see how everything unfolds in the coming books.

The world-building in this book was fantastic. You can imagine what New Beijing must look like and be like and how it must feel to live there. Meyer does a really fantastic job of making the book really come to life.

I did not want this book to be over. I read a bit slower than normal just to prolong the experience. You have to love books like that, no?

Bottom line: This book is fantastic and definitely a favorite for 2012.


  

12 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree with everything you say about this book! I loved it so much, and I never thought I would. I mean, androids? Cyborgs? Not my thing, but Marissa pulls it off brilliantly! Great review!

    Karis @ YA Litwit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book a little too much. I felt exactly the same way as you. I still want to curl up with it and cry sometimes because it's so perfect! Thank you for expressing my feelings in a much smarter sounding way that I ever could've!

    Debz @ Debz Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blush* Thank you!

      I was pretty sure that I would like this book walking into it because of all of the reviews that I had seen but I didn't know I would love it this much!

      Delete
  3. I agree! I thought this was a fabulous book and I can't wait for the sequel!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little depressed that I have to wait for the sequel!

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed reading Cinder as well. Now I am reading Scarlett, the ARC. Come for a visit soon to read my review of the second book in the Lunar Chronicles.

    :) Have a terrific day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm really jealous that you got an ARC! I'm so anxious to read the next book!

      Delete
  5. I am the same way, I want to read books but, if I love them I hate waiting and I like to be able to have them all to read one after the other and no cliff hanging lol. Loved your review!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so satisfying to be able to read all of the books in a series at once. I'm sort of glad that I didn't read all of the Hunger Games books until they all came out!

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you enjoyed this. I LOVED this book for all the reason you mention! And like you....I can't wait for the 2nd one. Of all the books I've read so far this year.....this is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book is probably pretty high on my list for me. I always have a hard time picking favorites though!

      Delete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...