Saturday, July 28, 2012

Review: Afterlife by Megg Jensen

Title: Afterlife
Author: Megg Jensen
Format: Ebook
Publisher: Self-published
Publish Date: May 2012
Source: I received a copy from the author; however, this did not affect my review.






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a young adult fiction fan.
  • You're a paranormal fan.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "The fire inside Lianne threatened to consume her, but she fought back and won. Unfortunately the collateral damage of her decisions won’t stop haunting her. She embarks on a secret trip to find Mags and return her son, but her search leads her into another nest of lies.

Everyone’s safety is in Lianne’s hands as the Malborn, an enemy more fearsome than her own people, looms over them. Will Lianne be able to unravel the secrets in time to save the ones she loves the most? Or will her lack of faith in her own decisions lead to disaster?

Afterlife weaves some of the favorite characters from the Cloud Prophet Trilogy (Anathema, Oubliette, and Severed) into The Swarm Trilogy as Lianne comes face-to-face with a character introduced at the end of Severed."


My Two Cents:

Afterlife picked right up where Sleepers, the first book in the Swarm trilogy left off. That being said, if you haven't read Sleepers, you are probably going to be really confused. There is a small sort of summary of what happened in Sleepers but you're still going to miss a lot. I sort of wished that there had been a little bit more of a review. It's been a couple months since I read Sleepers so I had forgotten some of the details. It took a little bit for me to remember everything that had happened in the first book. Also, both Sleepers and Afterlife are fairly short books (not sure about the third one) so if I could re-do it, I might have read both books right together.

This second episode is filled with action. It definitely feels like Afterlife could have been together with the first book. One thing that I liked about Sleepers over this book is that there was a lot more story development. In Sleepers, I felt that you got to know the characters a little more. In Afterlife, I didn't feel like you got to know a lot about the characters, even the main character Lianne. I wish that we got a little more insight into Lianne and Bryden and the new characters in the book: Johna and Chase.

There was another love triangle in this book but I didn't like it nearly as the love triangle between Lianne, Bryden, and Kellan in Sleepers. I just didn't get why Lianne was attracted to Chase...

Anyhow, I think that I would have liked if Sleepers and Afterlife were combined. I still like the story but Afterlife was a much flatter story for me.


  

2 comments:

  1. I totally missed the first book..will check it out, this one sounds action packed.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...