Saturday, October 8, 2011

Review: Dogs of War

Title: Dogs of War
Author: Lisa Rogak
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publish Date: October 25, 2011
Source: Netgalley






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're an animal lover!!!
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Military working dogs gained widespread attention after Cairo participated in the SEAL Team 6 mission that led to Osama bin Laden’s death. Before that, few civilians realized that dogs served in combat, let alone that they could parachute from thirty thousand feet up.

The Dogs of War reveals the amazing range of jobs that our four-legged soldiers now perform, examines the dogs’ training and equipment, and sets the record straight on those rumors of titanium teeth. You’ll find heartwarming stories of the deep bond that dogs and their handlers share with each other, and learn how soldiers and civilians can help the cause by fostering puppies or adopting retirees.

An incredible story of the largely unseen but vital role that dogs play in our armed forces, The Dogs of War is a must-read for animal lovers everywhere."


My Two Cents:

We've relied on animals a lot to help us in our military endeavors. We've especially relied on dogs a lot. They can smell things we can't smell, they can hear things that we can't hear, they act as protectors and as helpers. They're pretty amazing. This book focuses mostly on military dog usage in the 20th and 21st century.

The book is organized by stories about some of the more well known military dogs (including Cairo, the Belgian Malinois) who was part of the team that went into to capture and kill Bin Laden earlier this year. The book also covers what the military looks for in dogs (did you know that female dogs used to not even be able to be used as military dogs?), training that both the trainer and the dog have to go through (way intense) and the deep relationships that are developed often times between the handlers and the dogs (there was one story in here that made me cry happy tears; for a book to actually make me cry is absolutely amazing. I had to read that part of the book to my husband so he could see what I was crying about.)

Animal lovers will really enjoy this book. I'm a big softie when it comes to animal stories. Even though these dogs are tough and therefore not all that cuddly, it still warmed my heart to read about such tight bonds and the amazing things that these dogs do for our military.

Bottom line: This book made me happy!


4.5 out of 5 stars! 
 

5 comments:

  1. I love dogs! This book sounds really interesting, I guess I never thought about how much dogs are used by the military. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meg, it's Lisa Rogak. I'm glad you enjoyed my book! I loved doing the research on the book, I learned so much about dogs in the military throughout history.

    I'm curious: what is the scene that made you cry happy tears?

    Cheers!

    Lisa Rogak

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lisa Rogak Hi Lisa! Thank you so much for stopping by. This is really cool that you stopped by. So the scene that made me cry was when the soldier was in the vehicle explosion and she thinks her dog died and she's at the hospital recovering and thinks she hears her dog in the hall and whistles for him and he's there! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know about military dogs either! Must read.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...