Friday, July 15, 2011

Shopaholic Takes Manhattan by Sophie Kinsella

Title: Shopaholic Takes Manhattan
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Publisher: Dial Press
Published Date: January 2002
Source: Library



Why You're Reading This Book:

- You want a fun escape
- You're a fan of Sophie Kinsella and liked the first Shopaholic book


What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "With her shopping excesses (somewhat) in check and her career as a TV financial guru thriving, Becky’s biggest problem seems to be tearing her entrepreneur boyfriend, Luke, away from work for a romantic country weekend. And worse, figuring out how to “pack light.” But packing takes on a whole new meaning when Luke announces he’s moving to New York for business–and he asks Becky to go with him! Before you can say “Prada sample sale,” Becky has landed in the Big Apple, home of Park Avenue penthouses and luxury department stores.
Surely it’s only a matter of time until she becomes an American TV celebrity, and she and Luke are the toast of Gotham society. Nothing can stand in their way, especially with Becky’s bills miles away in London.
But then an unexpected disaster threatens her career prospects, her relationship with Luke, and her available credit line! Shopaholic Takes Manhattan–but will she have to return it?"

My Two Cents:

I love the Shopaholic books. I've never really been a big spender myself but living vicariously through Becky Bloomwood. Even though I'm not a big spender, it definitely doesn't mean that I don't like hearing about other people's shopping exploits. Au contraire, I do very much; I just have extremely good willpower (haha)!

One of the things that I love best about these books is Becky herself. She's quirky and she makes a lot of mistakes but underneath it all, she's still easy to love. While I did find myself *facepalm*-ing throughout the book like I did in the first book, she's too hilarious to get mad at.

In this installation, Becky follows her dreamboat, Luke, to a bigger pond than London. She finds herself in the middle of NYC faced with all sorts of new stores to explore. She figures new country, new start and is determined to put off paying her bills waiting for her back in her home country. She spends with abandon and seems surprised when once again, it gets her into big trouble. On top of that, it gets her into much, much bigger trouble.

These books are a lot of fun. While I don't think that it's necessary for you to have read the first book in this series in order to enjoy the book, I think you could still definitely enjoy the books.

Bottom line: If you need a fun book to take on vacation or one to read while lounging at the pool, this would be a great choice.






My Review:
4 out of 5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...