Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Review: Rapunzel's Daughters

Title: Rapunzel's Daughters
Author: Edited by Josie Brown, Rose Mambert, and Bill Racicot
Publisher: Pink Narcissus Press
Publish Date: July 1, 2011
Source: Received from publisher (this did not affect my review)






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You still love fairy tales
  • Like me, you wondered about what happened after the "Happily ever after"
  • Warning: Even though these are fairy tales, some of them have very adult themes. This isn't a book for little ones!
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "What happens after the "Happily Ever After"...?
30 writers answer questions that no one has dared ask before about your favorite fairy tales, nursery rhymes, and legends. What dark arts will Little Miss Muffet employ to exact her revenge on the spider? Can a guide help the Big, Bad Wolf succeed in eating Little Red Riding Hood without getting caught? Is Prince Charming gay? And will the Beast get tired of ravishing Beauty, and instead turn his attention to Lady Gaga?

All of these answers and more can be found in 31 original stories full of indecisive princesses, talking wolves, unhappy frogs, wicked witches, with a liberal sprinkling of fairy dust, magical transformations, and psychotherapy."

My Two Cents:

What a cool book! I have always loved fairy tales and I personally have been very happy to see the resurgence in new takes on some of my favorite fairy tales.  This book is filled with some great sequels and retellings of fairy tales that were old favorites and a few new-to-me fairy tales that were really wonderful.

Some of my favorites from the book:

  • A Wolf's Guide to the Fairy Tale by Dave Sellars: A play by play of Little Red Riding Hood from the wolf's point of view. Very funny.
  • Dr. Zum: Psychotherapist to the Surreal by Melanie Rees: The title says it all. Can you imagine having some of these fairy tales recline on your therapist couch???
  • Testing the Waters by Stuart Sharp: What if you got a chance to kiss more that one frog to find your perfect prince? Oh and you're really, really, really picky.
  • Cinderella's Niece by Nicci Mechler: What if your aunt happened to be a famous fairy tale character who was still obsessed with her story and it's made her a little crazy.
There are over 30 stories in this book. Each one is a unique take on a classic. It was so interesting to see what people came up with.

Bottom line: This is a great read for all my fellow fairy tale lovers.


My Review:
4 out of 5 stars

What's your favorite fairy tale?

6 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, I love me some fairy-tales so this sounds amazing! I'm definitely checking this book out after reading your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great. Just the first line of the summary "What happens after the Happy ever after?" is enough to make me want this book and the summaries to your favourites look great. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound really interesting. I think I'm most intrigued by Dr. Zum and the Wolf's tale. I would love to see what happens after happily ever after too.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...