Thursday, July 14, 2011

Booking Through Thursday (9): Biographies


This week, Booking Through Thursday asks: There are so many crappy biographies … would you rather read a poorly-written biography of a fascinating life, OR an exquisitely well-written, wonderful read of one of a not-so-interesting life?

Books have to be well written for me to really get into them. I love off-beat biographies (biographies about people who aren't all that well known or otherwise). If a book is badly written, I'm not going to enjoy it nearly as much. I'd rather take my chances with a less well known person's biography if the writing will blow me away. I like to be moved.

What say you?

5 comments:

  1. Me, too -- I can't really enjoy a book that's poorly written, no matter how fascinating the subject might be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with you Meg, good writing makes all the difference. It can make someone not that well known fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to think about this one before I came up with an answer.
    Here's My BTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely agree...if a book isn't well-written, how can it hold your interest?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit I am a little of both.
    If it is written well I can get into it easier and will most probably like it but also if I come across a biography of someone I admire (like Nelson Mandela's Long walk to freedom) I will persist until I get into it.

    It did take me a while to read Nelson's book as it was like reading a text book. lol

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...