Friday, February 1, 2013

Review: Lotto Lucy by Kathleen Irene Paterka

Title: Lotto Lucy
Author: Kathleen Irene Paterka
Format: Ebook
Publisher: Self-published
Publish Date: November 2, 2012
Source: I received a copy from the author; however, this did not affect my review.






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a fiction fan. 
  • You're a romance fan.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Winning the lottery: $70 million
Mending family relationships: Priceless
 

When James Bay journalist Lucy Carter wins the lottery, good fortune seems guaranteed. But even $70 million in cold hard cash can’t help Lucy when it comes to dealing with some cold hard facts. No amount of money will buy back Grandma's mind nor buy Lucy a reprieve from a strained mother/daughter relationship.

After a twenty year absence, Lila’s suddenly back in town. Lila says she’s moved to James Bay to keep an eye out for her daughter Lucy… or is it Lucy's money that Lila has her eye on instead? When an auto accident forces mother and daughter together to live under one roof, even a luxurious 4,000 square foot condo seems like a tiny bungalow, and Lucy suddenly has her hands full with a whole new set of problems she never expected."


My Two Cents:

"Lotto Lucy" is the third book in the James Bay novels. I've reviewed the first two books and while one was okay for me (Fatty Patty) and one I really liked (Home Fires) but out of the three novels, I think that I liked "Lotto Lucy" the best. While this book is also a romance like the previous two books, it has a lot more than just a good romantic story going for it.

A famous modern day philosopher once said "Mo money, mo problems." That philosopher was of course named The Notorious B.I.G and as Lucy finds out in "Lotto Lucy," he may have been on to something. Even though Lucy makes some major mistakes after she wins the lottery, she is still a really endearing character. She means well and half the time, she doesn't seem to realize that what she's doing is hurting some people. In the end, she learns a really good lesson and you can see that she really means well. She eventually realizes that she's changing for the worse and decides to mend her ways. I liked following her journey. I also really liked the love story between Lucy and Max. They both go into the relationship a little deceptive towards each other but eventually they realize that honesty is the best policy.

I continued to really like Paterka's writing in this book as I did in the other two books. These books definitely have good stories. They are definitely fun and great for when you are looking for a book to get lost in. She writes great characters and definitely knows how to capture a good conversation. I can't wait to see where the James Bay novels go. I really liked that in this book, we get a glimpse of some of the great characters from "Home Fires" and "Fatty Patty" and what happens to them after their books ended.


 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Meg,

    Thank you so much for your review of my novel LOTTO LUCY. I'm very glad that you enjoyed Lucy's story, and the relationship between Lucy and Max, as well as her love/hate relationship with money. Lucy definitely had some growing up to do throughout the course of the book. It was a fun ride (just like her Jag!)

    The next James Bay novel will be out soon - February 2013... stay tuned!

    ~ Kathleen

    KATHLEEN IRENE PATERKA
    Women's Fiction
    http://www.kathleenirenepaterka.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds interesting, but I am wondering....

    Since this is 3rd in a series, how does it read as a stand-alone. Do you recommend reading the first two books before I pick up this one?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...