Friday, April 13, 2012

Review: Makeda by Prue Sobers

Title: Makeda
Author: Prue Sobers
Publisher: Old Trees Press
Publish Date: 2011
Source: I received a copy from the publisher. This did not affect my review.



Why You're Reading This Book:
  • You like your historical fiction to take you off the beaten path.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "A woman stands in a hooded cloak, feet drenched and muddied, at the entrance of the great hall as thunder reverberates through the palace walls. In the gloom he cannot see her clearly. It is before the Common Era, the year 961. He is Solomon the Wise, thwarted by protocol, impatient for his work. She is the beautiful and spirited Makeda, Queen of Sheba and all Ethiopia who has risked life and limb in a bid to talk trade. Against a glittering backdrop of pomp and opulence, and the shadows of slavery and the politics of the times, as strangers, they embark on an uncharted course.She is not what he expects and takes him by surprise. He is everything she has heard. Behind the closed doors of privilege and power, both are about to face more than they bargain for.Brimming with imagery, taut with intrigue, Makeda is alight with incident and glamour."

My Two Cents:

"We are not born wise, Solomon. Revelation comes with knowledge and introspection." - Makeda

Makeda tells the story of Makeda, Queen of Sheba, and King Solomon. It also tells the story of some of the tribes that lived in the area that is now the Middle East and Israel. While I knew of Solomon from the bible stories, I had never heard of Makeda before so it was interesting to be introduced to such an intriguing historical figure.

That being said, I do wish that the story had really focused more on the romance between Makeda and Solomon. The story is really broken up by the second part of the book, which focuses on various characters in the tribes. While this is an interesting story and it was interesting to be introduced how many other people during the time were living during the time period. Not everyone could be royalty! But it did seem a little out of place. I just really wanted to see how two such powerful people like Makeda and Solomon fell so hard for each other. What made them tick? What made them be able to

One thing that I love in historical fiction books is being taken to a place where I've never been before. This was definitely new territory for me and I loved it!

Bottom line: This is a solid historical fiction pick!
 

 

3 comments:

  1. Meg, I love how you introduce me to historical fiction books I have not seen before. I have never read anything about this subject at all- sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book definitely took place in new territory for me!

      Delete
  2. Great post! I probably would not have picked up this book on my own, but after reading your review, I definitely want to read it. Just requested it from the library.
    Beth :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...