Sunday, April 22, 2012

Review: Bending the Boyne by J.S. Dunn

Title: Bending the Boyne
Author: J.S. Dunn
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Seriously Good Books
Publish Date: March 17, 2011
Source: I received a copy from the publisher. This did not affect my review.


Why You're Reading This Book:
  • You're a historical fiction fan.
  • You like ancient history.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "2200 BCE: Marauders invade ancient Eire seeking copper and gold. The astronomer Boann and the enigmatic Cian must use all their wits and courage to save their people, the peaceful starwatchers, from the invaders' long bronze knives and scavenging ways. Tensions between new and old cultures and between Boann, Elcmar, and her son Aengus, ultimately explode. What emerges from the rubble of battle is a fresh take on Ireland's oldest legends.

BENDING THE BOYNE draws on 21st century archaeology to show the lasting impact when early metal mining and trade take hold along north Atlantic coasts. Carved megaliths and stunning gold artifacts, from the Pyrenees up to the Boyne, come to life in this researched historical fiction."

My Two Cents:

I thoroughly enjoyed Bending the Boyne. It takes place in Ireland in 2200 BCE and follows the story of two "tribes." This is the first time that I've ever read anything about this time period in Ireland. I love when a book can take me someplace that I've never been before. I've been trying to read more about ancient history because I just don't feel like I read enough about times prior to about the 1300s or 1400s, which is pretty recent in the whole scheme of things.

I loved how much research the author must have done into this subject matter. In the book blurb, it states that the book covers a lot of things that were learned from the archaeology of where Boann, the main character, and the other members of the Starwatcher tribe once lived. Because there was such a focus on place and so much research on what life was like then, the writing is really realistic. You really feel like you are living through the things that both tribes are feeling and going through. I also really enjoyed reading the Author's Note. I'm always super interested in how authors, especially those that write historical fiction, make their stories genuine and realistic. Dunn does a really fabulous job of pulling the reader into a very interesting story about the people of Ancient Ireland.

Bottom line: Historical fiction lovers who love good detail will love this one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...