Thursday, April 26, 2012

Review: Daughters for a Time by Jennifer Handford

Title: Daughters for a Time
Author: Jennifer Handford
Format: ARC
Publisher: Amazon Publishing
Publish Date: April 24, 2012
Source: I received a copy from the PR. This did not affect my review.


Why You're Reading This Book:
  • You're a fiction fan.
  • You don't mind reading about tough subjects.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Feelings of abandonment fill Helen Francis at a too-young age when her mother dies and her father walks out. Left in the care of her older sister, Claire, she moves on but never truly heals. Now thirty-five and married, Helen is desperate to start a family of her own. After four unsuccessful years of trying to become pregnant, Helen accepts the idea of adoption.

When her baby is finally in her arms, Helen experiences true exaltation. But she is quickly blindsided with the worst possible news: Claire has cancer. Helen's wounds are again torn open as she balances the bliss of a new daughter with the grief of a dying sister."


My Two Cents:

Daughters for a Time is a family story of how our families are not always blood related but they are our families all the same. It's a story about how not all families are alike but they can still come together when needed. Sometimes family is all you have to get through the really, really tough times and it can be difficult to figure that out.I was very interested in this book because it tackled the idea and the decision to adopt. I personally think that adoption is really cool. There are so many children out there in the world that really could use a loving home. This book sort of gives an inside picture about what it might be like to adopt a child. There's more story lines within the book but the main one does have to deal with adoption.

Helen and Tim try to get pregnant for several years before Helen eventually gives in to her husband's suggestion that they try to adopt a baby from China. I know that's a really difficult (and very personal) decision to make but Helen seems to drag her feet too much. I had a really hard time getting behind her feet dragging though. I wanted Helen to realize that it's about the love that you can give a child and not whether or not you actually carried the child in your womb. I had to keep reminding myself that there are people out there that do not agree with that sentiment and that it's okay that they don't see it the same way that I do. Helen eventually comes around to the idea and I ended up liking her character a lot by the end because she finally seemed to get that it is all about love and coming together to be a family.

This is a great book for people that don't mind a tough story and don't mind being a little sad through a book. I definitely don't mind this. In the case of Daughters for a Time, I felt that the sadness was definitely warranted, which is why I was totally okay with it. This story will definitely tug on your heartstrings a little bit.

Bottom line: Contemporary fiction readers who don't mind tough subjects will enjoy this book. 


  

4 comments:

  1. Great review, esp that you put in your own personal views on the character. I've read similar stories, but, of course, they're always different in a lot of way. This is the type of read I like on a rainy summer's day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's always a struggle to not judge a character by your own values. I know I have a really hard time with that...

      Delete
  2. This book sounds really interesting. I have only ever read one other book about families adopting children from China, it was called The Red Thread and it was breathtaking. I'll have to give it a try! Lovely review, and thank you for stopping by my IMM this week! :D

    Bonnie @ wordsathome.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I've heard really good things about The Red Thread. It's been on my TBR for awhile but I have yet to get to it!

      Delete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...