Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Review: New Crossroads by Suhail Ali

Title: New Crossroads
Author: Suhail Ali
Publisher: iUniverse
Publish Date: October 2010
Source: Received a copy from the author. This didn't affect my review.






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a short story lover.
  • You're an armchair traveler.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Julie is the prettiest nurse at a research hospital in New Delhi, but she desperately wants to lose weight. When she learns that patient Babu Ram lost twenty pounds in ninety days, she begins an inquiry that leads her to discover the shocking secret that instigated Babu's journey to a special diet. Mohan Rao is a retired professor of history at a leading university in Hyderabad. When his son refuses to honor his wishes, Mohan must face the reality of his own past. Bhakteshwar Prabhu is a hostel warden and an important man to everyone associated with New Engineering College. Now, he must interview his successor - and finds a surprising candidate in the process.

The short tales in New Crossroads capture the mood of a society in transition and reflect on an emerging consciousness shaped by rapid and fascinating social changes."

My Two Cents:

First, I know that you aren't supposed to judge a book by its cover but how gorgeous is this cover? The bright colors and the cool traditional Indian picture definitely got me a little excited to read this book. India is definitely on my travel Bucket List so I get excited whenever I can find a book to take me there. This book definitely fit the bill.

This is a very short book but it packs a punch. I'm usually not a fan of short stories but this collection is really good. You're introduced to some interesting characters in a really interesting setting. You get a taste for some of things going on in India and how rapidly things are changing, which is really cool.

Bottom line: If you're looking for a way to travel without leaving your couch, this book is a great start.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...