Thursday, November 10, 2011

Booking Through Thursday: E-volution



This week, Booking Through Thursday asks: E-readers like the Kindle and iPad are sweeping the nation … do you have one? Do you like it? Do you find it changes your reading/buying habits? If you don’t have one, do you plan to?

When I graduated from grad school about a year and a half ago, my aunts gave me a Kindle as a graduation gift. I was intrigued but I honestly didn't use it all that much. Most of my books generally come from the library and I didn't like the idea of trading my precious paper-bound beauties for yet another piece of electronic equipment. But I must admit, I'm a little in love with my Kindle now.

What Changed My Mind About My Kindle:
  • Vacation - When I go on vacation, I like to build in plenty of reading time. I can read a ton on vacation. When I went to Ukraine for two weeks back in August, I went through tons o' books on my Kindle (that's a crazy long plane flight and on top of that, we took the train everywhere).
  • Book Blogging - Having a Kindle has really broadened my book reviewing abilities. I can accept ebooks from authors/publishers/etc (I do prefer paper books still). I can request bunches of new books from Netgalley.
  • No One Has to Know What I'm Reading - I spend much time on public transport. Nothing annoys me more than someone interrupting my reading. When no one can see what I'm reading, they don't bother me. Woot!
What say you?

16 comments:

  1. I love e-readers! I began reading more once I got mine; reading just became easier because I could access e-books from the library (and occasionally an e-bookstore) so quickly. P.S., I especially agree with your third point! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made some good points about e-readers. I have experienced some of those, too. I will probably always love physical books, though.

    Here's MY BTT POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm...i can't decide if i want a kindle or not but all your reasons why having one is good has me 80% SOLD now....

    Trish - My BTT Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still love "real" books and read a lot of them, but for traveling there's nothing like the convenience of a Nook! Here's my BTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an ereader; Pandigital Novel, but hope to upgrade to an iPad someday. I've had it for about a year and a half an love it. I still read more books in printed form, but only because I get most of my books through the library, and not everything I want to read is available that way. Some of the things I like...

    I can easily place bookmarks and notes
    I can carry a lot of books in a small space
    I can get a new book to read without leaving home
    I LOVE the dictionary built in; I miss that now when I read a print book!
    I can read in the dark in the middle of the night because my ereader is backlit!
    AND last, but not least.....I can change the font size depending on how tired my eyes are. BIG plus in the morning when I am still blurry-eyed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, eReaders are the best for traveling. I forgot about privacy issues too because no one can see what you're reading! But when I see other people reading on their eReader, I'm always curious what they're reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely agree! Although with your vacation point, I wish I had a Kindle rather than an iPad - stinkin' outdoor glare!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer paper books, but i have to admit that packing three books for my impending vacation isn't really ideal. I've been thinking of getting an e-reader for years now, but I keep thinking that if I've managed thus far, why bother. But then again, they're getting cheap these days and I might get one just for travelling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Anonymous My library is supposed to be getting the Kindle system set up soon! I cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow Nothing beats the feeling and the weight of a good book in your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Trish Nothing beats the Kindle on vacation. I feel like half my suitcase used to be packed with books whenever I went someplace!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @lsl_scrapper I like being able to change the font too. Reading is more enjoyable when I can see the text ;P

    ReplyDelete
  13. @booknympho I'm curious but less likely to go up to someone if I can't see what they're reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Kat @ NoPageLeftBehind My husband has the ipad and I can't read on it for very long; it hurts my eyes!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...