Monday, October 28, 2013

Review: In Pursuit by Sharman Burson Ramsey

Title: In Pursuit
Author: Sharman Burson Ramsey
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Mercer University Press
Publish Date: September 30, 2013
Source: I received a copy from the author and publisher; however, this did not affect my review.






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a historical fiction fan.
  • You're looking for adventure!
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Creek half-breed and survivor of the Creek Indian War, Joie Kincaid and the nemesis she rescued from certain death after the Massacre at Fort Mims are kidnapped from a tea room in London. Joie awakens with amnesia after having been struck on the headto find herself in the hold of a ship sailing to the pirate Gasparilla's lair in Charlotte Harbour and bound to a man she finds strangely familiar."

My Two Cents:

"In Pursuit" is the follow up to Sharman Burson Ramsey's "Swimming With Serpents." In this historical fiction book, survivor of the Creek Indian War Joie Kincaid finds herself in England where the adventure of her life is not over yet when she gets taken by pirates! Cunning and adventures on the high seas await! She's gotten through hard things before but this latest situation could be the end. Even though this is the second book in this series, you can definitely read "In Pursuit" without reading the first book. I really want to go back and read the first book.

The characters in this book were great. Joie is such a strong character and I really liked following her. I really thought that Ramsey did a good job of showing where Joie came from and what her situation back in America was like and how it shaped her outlook in this book. I also really, really liked the relationship between Joie and Godfrey. Joie saved Godfrey before and when they rejoin in "In Pursuit," it's his turn to save her. I loved seeing how their relationship grew throughout the book.

I loved the inclusion of the pirates in the book. They play a huge role in this book. One of the things that I love about historical-fiction is when you get to learn something new. This book definitely had that for me. This book captures a really interesting point in history!

Overall, this is a great story with a ton of adventure!


 

1 comment:

  1. I would never have imagined a story that combined a Native American war with a pirate encounter!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...