Friday, September 7, 2012

Review: Sourdough Creek by Caroline Fyffe

Title: Sourdough Creek
Author: Caroline Fyffe
Format: Ebook
Publisher: Self-published
Publish Date: February 22, 2012
Source: I received a copy from the author; however, this did not affect my review.





Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a historical fiction fan.
  • You're a romance fan.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Nevada Territory, 1851

Sam Ridgeway is on a mission. He’s determined to find the deed to his gold claim, along with the low-down, thieving bum who stole it from his saddlebag. Arvid Angel would pay!

Cassie Angel has a plan. She and her little sister will sneak out of Broken Branch before being left alone in the dying town with the despicable Sherman brothers. Thank goodness she now has a place to flee to. On his last visit, her Uncle Arvid stashed a deed to a gold claim in her dresser drawer. Even though it means traveling to California, she’s set on trying her hand at gold panning—just like thousands of others flooding to that still-wild state. Unfortunately, before she and her sister are able to depart, Klem Sherman shows up looking for trouble. Just when Cassie thinks all is lost, a tall, good-looking cowboy appears and comes to her rescue."


My Two Cents: 

"Sourdough Creek" is a historical romance set in the Wild West (first in the Nevada territory and then in Coloma, California) during the 1800s. The romance is subtle and contains few love scenes for those of you who do not like them. The book takes place during the height of "Gold Fever" that overtook the country during that time period.

I love a strong character and Cassie Angel definitely fits that bill. During the time period in which this book takes place, women are not allowed to be particular independent, if you can imagine. However, Cassie is very headstrong and decides that staying home in a town that's dying with little family except her sort of evil uncle is not for her. She's also incredibly protective of her little sister, Josephine, which really endeared her to me.

The love story between Cassie and Sam, the cowboy, was just okay for me. I wish that the love story had been a little more detailed. Their love seemed to go from 0 to 60 in no time. I wanted to understand a little more about the "why" of their relationship. What drew them to each other? You get that they really loved each other but the intermediary was not there for me.

And this isn't really a criticism but with the contest (I'll leave it vague as I don't want to give anything away) that Sam, Cassie, and Uncle Arvid have to participate in to get the rights to the land deed. It seems like sort of an interesting way to sort things out. I sort of want to do some research to see if people really sorted out their differences like that.

I really enjoyed the story's setting. I haven't read a lot of books about the West before it was really settled. Fyffe gives a great amount of detail to really pull you into the story. You can really sense all of the different obstacles that Sam, Cassie, and Josephine face as they make their way from the Nevada territory to California.

Bottom line: A subtle love story with great characters and a good setting!


  

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a great read, I love historical fiction and always find this time period interesting. I am glad you like the characters. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...