Monday, September 14, 2015

Review: All the Difference by Leah Ferguson

Title: All the Difference
Author: Leah Ferguson
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Berkley
Publish Date: September 1, 2015
Source: I received a copy from the publisher; however, this did not affect my review.


What's the Story?: 

From Goodreads.com: "All it takes is one word—yes or no—to decide Molly’s future. As the clock counts down to midnight and the ball slowly begins to drop, Molly’s picture-perfect boyfriend gets down on one knee and asks her to marry him. She knows she should say yes, especially considering the baby-sized surprise she just discovered she’s carrying. But something in her heart is telling her to say no…

Now, Molly’s future can follow two very different paths: one where she stays with her baby’s father, despite her misgivings and his family’s unreasonable expectations, and one where she ventures out on her own as a single mother, embracing all the hardships that come with it.

And by the time the next New Year is rung in, Molly will know which choice was right—following her head or listening to her heart…"

My Two Cents:

"All the Difference" follows two different storylines as Molly has a choice to either say yes when her boyfriend proposes on New Year's Eve. Alternating chapters of the book follow what happens when she says yes and what happens when she says no. This book is a lot like "Sliding Doors," a romantic comedy movie that I really like. That sort of dichotomy between different decisions makes for a great storyline in this book. Who doesn't wonder about how their life would end up differently if they made a different decision?

Molly is a great character. She is incredibly confident and thinks that she knows what she wants. Her relationship with her boyfriend Scott is sort of a dead-end relationship and she knows it but for some reason she keeps hanging on hoping something will change. When he finally proposes, Molly has just found out that she's pregnant and she has to make a decision that will affect her life and the life of her child. I really liked how the author was able to get into Molly's head even though this was told from the third person perspective. I still feel like I got to know the characters really well, which is always important to me!

The premise of the book is just so interesting. Yes, it's been done before in other stories and other movies but I think as humans, some of us wonder about what would happen if we said yes when we said no and vice versa. I know that I myself always wonder that. I think a lot of people will find common ground with the decisions that Molly has to make. Overall, this book was a good read and I really enjoyed the story! I know I'm going to be thinking about this one for a long time.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...