Thursday, August 23, 2012

Review: The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

Title: The Importance of Being Earnest
Author: Oscar Wilde
Format: Ebook
Publish Date: 1895
Source: Owned






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a fiction fan.
  • You're a classic fan
  • You like satires.
  • You like a funny read.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Oscar Wilde's madcap farce about mistaken identities, secret engagements, and lovers entanglements still delights readers more than a century after its 1895 publication and premiere performance. The rapid-fire wit and eccentric characters of The Importance of Being Earnest have made it a mainstay of the high school curriculum for decades."

My Two Cents: 

Before I read The Importance of Being Earnest, I did not realize it was a play. This was my first bout with Oscar Wilde but now I know that it will not be the last! This is a short play but it's very witty and funny.

Wilde's sense of humor is definitely on display throughout the entire play. This man knew how to write a good, zippy line. There were definitely a couple that had me laughing. To me, Cecily had some of the funniest lines. You can see why so many people still really enjoy Wilde's writing today. His writing definitely transcends his time.

I also loved the satire in the book. No one is immune from Wilde's jabs. He makes light of society manners. Men, women, everyone is fair game.

The storyline is pretty simple. It's about deception: known and unknown. Why do we deceive each other? What are we trying to do? What are there ulterior motives? Do there always need to be ulterior motives? This play explores all this and more!

This play is a classic but I think that it's still definitely something that the modern reader can read and enjoy because of the universal themes.

Bottom line: This is a classic for a reason!


 

10 comments:

  1. I love Oscar Wilde! Reading his work is always entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one. May I recommend Lady Windmere's Fan? Another Wilde classic that never gets old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have to read this again and send a copy to a friend who is aspiring to write a full length play/movie script.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Oscar Wilde for the first time this year for my book club, which chose The Picture of Dorian Gray. I thought it was pretty good, so I can see myself reading this one at some point. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only seen the film adaptation with Colin Firth in it but never read the book. I didn't know until recently that it was a play either. But I do think I'll pick it up as it seems really enjoyable and I'd love to read something by him at least once in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this one a long time ago in HS and think about it often. I really should re-rea d it. I'm glad you liked it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is probably my favourite Wildean play. I've read it too many times to calculate, seen it live on stage, and own the film adaptation with the gorgeous Mr Firth. It's Wilde at his finest.

    You just gotta love Algy, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this one...How did I miss that it was made into a film?? Oy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never read his book yet, but I love his quotes a lot, and have been wanting to read this one since the first time I heard of it.
    And seriously, it had been adapted into a movie? Why, I've never heard of it before!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree that I had no idea the book was going to be funny! I mean, come on. Look at his picture on the cover. That does not look good at all!

    Thanks for your great review! I just reviewed the book as well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...