Monday, November 2, 2015

Review: Esther by Rebecca Kanner

Title: Esther
Author: Rebecca Kanner
Format: Ebook
Publisher: Howard Books
Publish Date: November 3, 2015
Source: Netgalley



What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "A glittering Persian king has a vast empire that reaches farther than where the sun meets the horizon. He is bathed in riches and commands a frightening military force. He possesses power beyond any other mortal man and rules his kingdom as a god. Anything he desires, he has. Any woman he wants, he possesses. Thousands of them. Young virgins from all across his many lands.

A Jewish girl is ripped from her hut by the king’s brutish warriors and forced to march across blistering, scorched earth to the capitol city. Trapped for months in the splendid cage of the king’s palace, she must avoid the ire of the king’s concubines and eunuchs all while preparing for her one night with the king. Soon the fated night arrives, and she does everything in her power to captivate the king and become his queen.

But wearing the crown brings with it a new set of dangers. When a ruthless man plies the king’s ear with whispers of genocide, it is up to the young queen to prevent the extermination of the Jews. She must find the strength within to violate the king’s law, risk her life, and save her people.

This is a story of finding hidden depths of courage within one’s self. Of risking it all to stand up for what is right.

This is the story of Queen Esther."

My Two Cents:

"Esther" is the second book by Rebecca Kanner. I really enjoyed her first book, "Sinners and the Sea" so I was anxious to read this book. As you may have guessed by the title, in this book Kanner takes on Queen Esther. I really did not know much about her before reading this book. She is a fascinating woman who started out being dragged off to King Xerxes' court where she will be a part of her harem and perhaps more. Kanner creates a really interesting character that will keep you reading!

I really liked that the book was told from Esther's point of view. Kanner gives her a really fantastic personality that I loved getting to know. Not only is she beautiful enough to capture the attention of the king but she is also really sharp. I loved the way that the author was able to make Esther feel so fully formed. 

I loved the setting. Aside from the biblical stories, I really have not read much set in this time and place so I really liked getting a front row seat to the King's court. The author used a lot of good detail to bring the King and his rule to life.

The writing of the book was good. There is a lot of focus on when Esther first arrives at court and when she first becomes Queen. The end of the book jumps around much more and felt rushed. I liked that the author was trying to bring some closure to the book but it felt way too crammed in. I would have liked it to slow down a little!


1 comment:

  1. I've always been intrigued by the story of Esther, so I'd really like to read this one. I'll watch for it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...