Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Review: It Ended Badly by Jennifer Wright

Title: It Ended Badly
Author: Jennifer Wright
Format: Ebook
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Publish Date: November 3, 2015
Source: Netgalley






What's the Story?: 

From Goodreads.com: "Spanning eras and cultures from ancient Rome to medieval England to 1950s Hollywood, Jennifer Wright's It Ended Badly guides you through the worst of the worst in historically bad breakups. In the throes of heartbreak, Emperor Nero had just about everyone he ever loved-from his old tutor to most of his friends-put to death. Oscar Wilde's lover, whom he went to jail for, abandoned him when faced with being cut off financially from his wealthy family and wrote several self-serving books denying the entire affair. And poor volatile Caroline Lamb sent Lord Byron one hell of a torch letter and enclosed a bloody lock of her own pubic hair. Your obsessive social media stalking of your ex isn't looking so bad now, is it?

With a wry wit and considerable empathy, Wright digs deep into the archives to bring these thirteen terrible breakups to life. She educates, entertains, and really puts your own bad breakup conduct into perspective. It Ended Badly is for anyone who's ever loved and lost and maybe sent one too many ill-considered late-night emails to their ex, reminding us that no matter how badly we've behaved, no one is as bad as Henry VIII."


My Two Cents:

"It Ended Badly" shows that history can be endlessly amusing. This book is a collection of several stories from history of breakups between various famous people that ended very very badly. Told in a very funny way with lots of interjections that had me laughing out loud, this is the book that you get for the lovelorn history major in your life or anyone else that wants a good laugh while learning something too!

I'm a huge history buff so I don't necessarily mind dry historical reading books but when the author is able to make it entertaining like Wright does in this book, I'm all over it. I think that it is awesome the way that the author was able to collect so many stories and tell them in such a entertaining way.

I think this book will appeal to even those who aren't necessarily history buffs. I could see this being a great pick for those who like their history a little bit off the beaten path. Believe it or not there were many parts in this book that had me giggling out loud. This is always the mark of a truly funny book for me. Overall, I think this book definitely made it history a little more entertaining and I would love to see more by this author.


 

1 comment:

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...