Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Review: White Collar Girl by Renee Rosen

Title: White Collar Girl
Author: Renee Rosen
Format: Ebook
Publisher: November 3, 2015 (Yesterday!)
Source: Netgalley/ Publisher



What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Every second of every day, something is happening. There’s a story out there buried in the muck, and Jordan Walsh, coming from a family of esteemed reporters, wants to be the one to dig it up. But it’s 1955, and the men who dominate the city room of the Chicago Tribune have no interest in making room for a female cub reporter. Instead Jordan is relegated to society news, reporting on Marilyn Monroe sightings at the Pump Room and interviewing secretaries for the White Collar Girl column.

Even with her journalistic legacy and connections to luminaries like Mike Royko, Nelson Algren, and Ernest Hemingway, Jordan struggles to be taken seriously. Of course, that all changes the moment she establishes a secret source inside Mayor Daley’s office and gets her hands on some confidential information. Now careers and lives are hanging on Jordan’s every word. But if she succeeds in landing her stories on the front page, there’s no guarantee she’ll remain above the fold.…"

My Two Cents:

After enjoying "What the Lady Wants" so much last year, I knew that I wanted to read "White Collar Girl." This book takes place in a totally different time from that one but we get to go back to Chicago in "White Collar Girl," during a time where there is not a lot of opportunity in the workplace for women. In fact, one of the characters tells our heroine in the first few pages of the book that she probably won't be there long because Jordan will just get frustrated, disillusioned, and then married! Jordan definitely has an uphill battle in this book and I loved following her through it!

Jordan comes from a long line of reporters and does not see why her gender should hold her back from becoming one of the greats. She has a dogged ambition and is definitely a woman after my own heart. Women still confront adversity in the workplace today but back in the 1950s and particularly in the news industry, it seemed to be much worse. We get to follow Jordan as she tries to make a name for herself. I was definitely cheering for her along the way! I love getting so excited about a particular character.

I loved the setting too. Jordan is working at the height of some very exciting (and often devious) politics at the time. Rosen does a great job of bringing Chicago and so many aspects of the time to life. You can feel the excitement of the city and we get to see it through Jordan's eyes. 

Rosen is quickly making it on to my "Must Buy" list. I am a huge historical fiction fan anyway but between the great characters and great settings, she really makes her books sparkle!


2 comments:

  1. I've not yet read "What A Girl Wants" but I want to. This one is on my list, too! Anything set in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one on ereader. Your review convinces me to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...