Friday, November 6, 2015

Review: I Take You by Eliza Kennedy

Title: I Take You
Author: Eliza Kennedy
Format: Hardcover
Publisher: Crown
Publish Date: May 5, 2015
Source: Publisher






What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Meet Lily Wilder: New Yorker, lawyer extraordinaire, blushing bride. And totally incapable of being faithful to one man.

Lily’s fiancĂ© Will is a brilliant, handsome archaeologist. Lily is sassy, impulsive, fond of a good drink (or five) and has no business getting married. Lily likes Will, but does she love him? Will loves Lily, but does he know her? As the wedding approaches, Lily’s nights—and mornings, and afternoons—of booze, laughter and questionable decisions become a growing reminder that the happiest day of her life might turn out to be her worst mistake yet."


My Two Cents:

In "I Take You," Lily is supposed to be getting married to Will within the next week. Lily is nowhere close to being ready to settle down and she thinks that this marriage thing might be a really bad idea seeing as how she jumps on any guy that comes across her path. This is a debut book that didn't quite hit the mark for me.

Characterization is important to me in a book. I don't necessarily need to like the characters but I need to understand at least where they are coming from. Lily is supposed to be a sassy and raunchy character; however, she comes across as insensitive and sort of juvenile. I just couldn't really understand why she treated people the way that she did throughout this book. She treats her fiancé badly. She treats her new in-laws badly. She treats her romantic conquests badly. She comes across as really immature. All we see is the insensitivity and nothing substantive. I was definitely looking for something more from her and definitely didn't get it.

There is a big plot twist in the book which I hated. I won't go into details in case you want to read it! Lily basically uses this twist to justify all of her bad behavior. It definitely didn't work for me. The plot twist felt a little unrealistic. This is a book about a lot of immature people.

I did like the setting of the book. Most of the book does take place in Key West, and some place I've always wanted to visit. The setting did meeting with the action a little bit and kept me reading.  


 

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm....sounds like an interesting premise that didn't pan out. I understand not revealing the plot twist.....but I kind of wish you had. I don't want to waste time on the book, but now you have me curious. Oh well....I won't be losing sleep over it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...