Thursday, August 28, 2014

Review: I Work at a Public Library: A Collection of Crazy Stories from the Stacks by Gina Sheridan

Title: I Work at a Public Library: A Collection of Crazy Stories from the Stacks
Author: Gina Sheridan
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Adams Media
Publish Date: July 31, 2014
Source: I received a copy from the PR; however, this did not affect my review.






What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Straight from the library--the strange and bizarre, ready to be checked out!

From a patron's missing wetsuit to the scent of crab cakes wafting through the stacks, I Work at a Public Library showcases the oddities that have come across Gina Sheridan's circulation desk. Throughout these pages, she catalogs her encounters with local eccentrics as well as the questions that plague her, such as, "What is the standard length of eyebrow hairs?" Whether she's helping someone scan his face onto an online dating site or explaining why the library doesn't have any dragon autobiographies, Sheridan's bizarre tales prove that she's truly seen it all.

Stacked high with hundreds of strange-but-true stories, I Work at a Public Library celebrates librarians and the unforgettable patrons that roam the stacks every day."


My Two Cents:

"I Work at a Public Library" is a collection of anecdotes from the Tumblr page of the same name. I wasn't familiar with this site were before reading this book; however, after reading this book, I know that I need to look at it. These stories are so funny! This book recounts some of the funny experiences that librarians working in public libraries have had to deal with. The Tumblr page of the very same name has become a haven for librarians wanting to talk about some of the crazy and ridiculous things that have happened in their life.

Even if you are not a librarian I think that you will fall in love with this very funny book. It's one of those books where you either need to be not embarrassed to get caught laughing in a public place or you just need to read it in the comfort of your own home so that nobody can hear you laughing! Luckily, I read it at home and was able to laugh as much as I wanted to! Some of the anecdotes definitely had me laughing out loud.

I know that this is a book that I'm going to want to read it over and over again just because it was so funny. I think that this book would make a great gift for either the librarian or the book lover in your life who wants a good laugh and doesn't take things too seriously. After reading this book I really wish that there was a sequel!


 

3 comments:

  1. I know several librarians who would probably enjoy this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too know some librarians that would like this book. It sounds so fun!! I am going to look for their tumblr page too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked it. I was attracted by the title, so I'm glad it's a worthwhile read. And I hadn't heard of the website either. Must check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...