Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Review: Cocktails for Book Lovers by Tessa Smith-McGovern

Title: Cocktails for Book Lovers
Author: Tessa Smith-McGovern
Format: ARC
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Publish Date: July 21, 2014
Source: I received a copy from the publisher; however, this did not affect my review.






What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "From Jane Austen's little-known fondness for wine to Hemingway's beloved mojitos, literature and libations go hand in hand. Cocktails for Book Lovers blends these in a delectable book that will delight both readers and cocktail enthusiasts alike. This irresistible collection features 50 original and classic cocktail recipes based on works of famous authors and popular drinks of their eras, including Orange Champagne Punch, Salted Caramel and Bourbon Milkshakes, and even Zombie Cola. So dip in, pick your favorite author or book, and take a sip--or start at the beginning and work your way through. Cheers!

Cocktails inspired by your favorite authors:
- Charlotte Bronte
- Dani Shapiro
- Dorothy Parker
- Ernest Hemingway
- F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Flannery O'Connor
- Jhumpa Lahiri
- Junot Diaz
- Virginia Woolf
- Wally Lamb
- And 40 more!"


My Two Cents:

Oh, how I love a good theme! There is almost nothing more satisfying to me than having a good, cohesive theme especially when it comes to books. If I'm reading a book set in Spain, my enjoyment of the book may be heightened if I'm enjoying a tall glass of sangria alongside some nice finger-food friendly tapas. If I'm reading a book about Mexico, you know I want a little bit of ranchera music to be playing in the background. If I'm reading about New York City, I want to be sitting on a bench in Central Park or on the High Line. If I'm reading Jane Austen, I'm probably going to want a cup of tea to go with it. While having those things may not change the way that I feel about a book, it does bring something a little special to the experience, which I love! If you love a good theme too, "Cocktails for Book Lovers" will be a great pick for you!

I loved this book! The recipes are each themed around different authors and books. Each recipe section has a snippet from a book to give you a sense of how the author of this collection came up with the recipe. Some of the recipes look absolutely delicious and I am very tempted to try to work my way through all of them (happy hour? my place?). There are some very original recipes (most appreciated) mixed in with some old standards. I really appreciated the addition of some new, off-the-beaten-path drinks as they made the book much more exciting to me!

This is an incredibly fun book. I could see it being a great gift for any book lover in your life. Having your friends over for book club? Now you've got a drink to match that book that you all are obsessing over. Or it might just be a great gift for yourself. Enjoy and drink up!


 

1 comment:

  1. Not sure I'd actually ever USE any of these recipes, but it DOES sound like a fun book!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...