Monday, January 10, 2022

On the Pleasure of Audiobooks

I'm always looking for more ways to read and one of the things that I discovered in 2021 that I really like is audiobooks! Before last year, I didn't really listen to audiobooks. It wasn't that I had anything against them but I just didn't listen to them. Using the Libby app and my handy dandy library cards, I found my way chewing through a ton more books by listening. I usually listen to them while I'm exercising or while I'm doing chores. As much as I love folding laundry (no sarcasm here - laundry is by far my favorite chore), the pleasure is really amped when I'm listening to a good book. I've also found that I like listening to them while I'm doing some sort of craft, like watercolor painting, which I just took up last year as well.

What I don't like about audiobooks is:

  1. They take longer to listen to than it would be for me to read the book. I try to turn that into a positive and let it force me to slow down a little bit.
  2. Sometimes I don't like the narrators. I usually will give up the book at that time point but I always have that teeny, tiny voice in the back of my head that tells me I should still try to read the book rather than listen to it!

Here are some of the audiobooks that I've loved over the past year:

  • Early Morning Riser by Katherine Heiny
  • The Season by Kristen Richardson
  • Cultish by Amanda Montell
  • From the Corner of the Oval by Beck Dorey-Stein
  • Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal
  • Come Fly the World by Julia Cooke
My current listen is From Scratch by Tembi Locke. 

Do you like audiobooks? What are some of your favorite listens?

2 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of audiobooks, too. But I know what you mean about narrators. I just finished Harlem Shuffle by Colson Whitehead. The narrator was a man with a deep voice, when he would lower his voice conspiratorially, I had to turn up the sound to hear him. No good. I pretty much can only listen when I am driving or doing puzzles. If I am cooking or housecleaning, I get too distracted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I wish it were easier to see who the narrators are on the app that I use for audiobooks (Libby)!

      Delete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...