Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Review: A Terrible Love by Marata Eros

Title: A Terrible Love
Author: Marata Eros
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Publish Date: April 26, 2013
Source: I received a copy from the publisher; however, this did not affect my review.






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a fiction fan.
  • You don't mind darker stories.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Jess Mackey is living a meticulously fabricated lie of necessity. She's left the secret tragedy of her past behind along with who she was and is forging ahead with a clean slate. But Jess soon discovers that passion can't be left behind—neither her own, nor that of the one man who sees who she really is…and whose unexpected presence may breach the peaceful life Jess has painstakingly created for herself.

Devin Castile didn’t expect to meet a young woman who may be the missing puzzle piece to his existence…and who is also the victim of a heinous crime. Devin convinces himself that he can remain emotionally distant even while indulging his physical desire for her. But when Jess’s lies begin to crumble in the face of their undeniable attraction and the truth is revealed, one of them might pay with their life."


My Two Cents:

In "A Terrible Love," Jewell MacLeod is running from her dangerous past. She becomes Jess Mackey and wants to throw herself into her new life as a ballerina in school. She wants to hide but she's not sure how long she will be able to hold out. This is a fairly dark story, much darker than I expected in some places. Overall, I thought this was an interesting mix of different elements that kept me entertained.

This book was really a mixed bag for me. I really liked the basic storyline of Jewell trying to create a new life for herself away from her super scary family. There seemed to be a lot of side stories though that took away from the main story (Jess/Jewell's love interests and guys fighting over her). I really wanted to know more about why she hid and how she was able to hide for so long.

And a warning for my gentler readers, there were some parts of this book that were extremely dark. There are certain things with Jewell's family that really sort of scared me. Also, some of Jewell's relationships in the book were quite dark.

I did like the writing of the book though! 


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...