Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Review: When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present by Gail Collins

Title: When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present
Author: Gail Collins
Format: Hardcover
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Publish Date: October 14, 2009
Source: Library



What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "When Everything Changed begins in 1960, when most American women had to get their husbands' permission to apply for a credit card. It ends in 2008 with Hillary Clinton's historic presidential campaign. This was a time of cataclysmic change, when, after four hundred years, expectations about the lives of American women were smashed in just a generation."

My Two Cents:

"When Everything Changed" is a history of American women from 1960 the present and everything that they had to go through in order to get where we are today. It was a time of rapid change. You had women entering the workforce in higher levels than ever before. Their roles and the way that they saw themselves, and the ways that they wanted others to see them were changing as well. When you look at history, there is so much change that occurred for women in the 1960s. The 1960s were really the beginning of the feminist movement as women were moving out of their traditional roles and into more different roles then they'd ever had before. The following decades meant even more changes for women. As a woman who lives today, I'm definitely appreciative of those who came before me and paved the way for me to do what I want to do.

This book gave me an even greater appreciation for those that came before me. Gail Collins has written a lot about women and women's issues so she is definitely well versed in the subject, which shines through in her narrative. She pulls together so many poignant points of view in this book. She covers not only who made changes but what kind of changes were occurring in areas such as fashion and the workforce. This was a great read that not only showed me how far we've come by and many ways how far we still have to go in order to make things the best that they can be for women. I suggest this book to anyone who is looking for an engaging account of the many great strides that so many women have made over the past five decades or so.
  



 

2 comments:

  1. This one looks interesting....and enlightening for younger women today. I lived a lot of it, and it always surprises me how little younger women realize about how limited their choices would have been had they been born just a generation earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one a few years ago and loved it! I also lived through it, so it was a bit nostalgic for me, but I can recommend it to younger as well as old women. We should all know our roots!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...