Saturday, February 27, 2016

Review: No Ordinary Life by Suzanne Redfearn

Title: No Ordinary Life
Author: Suzanne Redfearn 
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Publish Date: February 2, 2016
Source: PR



What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Faye Martin never expected her husband to abandon her and her three children . . . or that she'd have to struggle every day to make ends meet. So when her four-year-old daughter is discovered through a YouTube video and offered a starring role on a television series, it seems like her prayers have been answered. But when the reality of their new life settles in, Faye realizes that fame and fortune don't come without a price. And in a world where everyone is an actor and every move is scrutinized by millions, it's impossible to know who to trust, and Faye finds herself utterly alone in her struggle to save her family."

My Two Cents:

"No Ordinary Life" is the story of Faye Martin and her children. When her youngest, Molly, is discovered one day right after they move to Los Angeles, the whole family's world is turned upside down. At first, Faye can't believe her fortune but she is faced with a slew of new problems that she could once only imagine. This is the story of one woman trying to hold her family together when their world is turned upside down. Hollywood glamour isn't always glamorous!

The Hollywood life is definitely not for me but that did not prevent me from enjoying living vicariously through Faye and her family in this book. The book is told from Faye's perspective, which really pulled me into the story. I really enjoyed seeing the events of the book through her eyes. This book definitely shows the unglamorous side of Hollywood. At first, Faye thinks that being in Hollywood is going to solve all of her family's problems but she finds that the problems just change (and arguably get worse) as her family gets more entrenched in the business. This book made me really anxious for the family throughout the book and I love when a book can elicit such a strong response in me!

The writing of the book is good. I thought that the author did a good job of showing the characters' growth (especially Faye's) throughout the book. The flow works well and kept me involved with the book. Overall, this was a good read that gave a lot of insight into a world I'm not familiar with!


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...