Friday, February 12, 2016

Review: Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh

Title: Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened
Author: Allie Brosh 
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Touchstone
Publish Date: October 29, 2013
Source: Owned



What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "This is a book I wrote. Because I wrote it, I had to figure out what to put on the back cover to explain what it is. I tried to write a long, third-person summary that would imply how great the book is and also sound vaguely authoritative--like maybe someone who isn’t me wrote it--but I soon discovered that I’m not sneaky enough to pull it off convincingly. So I decided to just make a list of things that are in the book:

Pictures
Words
Stories about things that happened to me
Stories about things that happened to other people because of me
Eight billion dollars*
Stories about dogs
The secret to eternal happiness*

*These are lies. Perhaps I have underestimated my sneakiness!"

My Two Cents:

"Hyperbole and a Half" is a mostly hilarious collection of Allie Brosh's comics. I had seen a lot of the comics all over the Internet but never made the connection that they were all by the same person. She is incredibly talented and witty! I was very excited to find this book!

I love when a book can make me laugh out loud and this one definitely did that. It had me laughing all sorts of places where it was probably not socially appropriate to laugh such as public transportation but then again I think that's a mark of a truly funny book. Some of the comics brought me to tears from laughing so much (some of my favorites are anything having to do with Brosh's dogs).

That's not to say that the whole book is funny. Brosh also takes on some pretty difficult subjects using her drawings. The section on depression and anxiety is probably one of the best descriptions that I've ever come across of what it feels like to go through those things!

I would very much be in favor of a sequel to this book!


1 comment:

  1. Ok....this one now has my interest! I think I'll look for it and have it ready for when I'm in the mood to laugh!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...