Thursday, February 18, 2016

Review: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

Title: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?
Author: Mindy Kaling
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Crown Archetype
Publish Date: November 1, 2011
Source: Owned



What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Mindy Kaling has lived many lives: the obedient child of immigrant professionals, a timid chubster afraid of her own bike, a Ben Affleck–impersonating Off-Broadway performer and playwright, and, finally, a comedy writer and actress prone to starting fights with her friends and coworkers with the sentence “Can I just say one last thing about this, and then I swear I’ll shut up about it?”

Perhaps you want to know what Mindy thinks makes a great best friend (someone who will fill your prescription in the middle of the night), or what makes a great guy (one who is aware of all elderly people in any room at any time and acts accordingly), or what is the perfect amount of fame (so famous you can never get convicted of murder in a court of law), or how to maintain a trim figure (you will not find that information in these pages). If so, you’ve come to the right book, mostly!"


My Two Cents:

"Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?" is a sort of memoir/ humor book by the very talented and very funny Mindy Kaling. This book was written around the time that Kaling was on "The Office" so it came out a few years ago but the humor in the book still feels timely and is still very enjoyable. I love her on The Mindy Project and know that she does a lot of the writing for that show and I find it hilarious so I wanted to read this book for that very reason. If you liked books like Tina Fey's "Bossypants" and are looking to infuse your reading with some humor, Mindy Kaling is your girl.

I loved this book! It is the perfect book for when you are looking for a good laugh. Kaling tells some really funny stories about her childhood in an immigrant family. Everything is on the table, whether or not it is embarrassing. She tells great stories about her early career. Not all of the book is funny though; Kaling covers some more serious topics with a lot of thought and consideration. She is nothing if not versatile!

The writing in this book is sharp and witty. This is a pretty fast read, mostly due to Kaling's great writing. It is not a very long book and after I was finished, I definitely found myself wanting I didn't want to put the book down. I know that I will be on the lookout for anything else Kaling writes. Overall, this was a great light read!


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...