Thursday, March 15, 2012

Review: The Tree of Everlasting Knowledge by Christine Nolfi

Title: The Tree of Everlasting Knowledge
Author: Christine Nolfi
Publisher: Self-published
Publish Date: March 9, 2012
Source: I received a copy from the author. This did not affect my review.


Why You're Reading This Book:
  • You're a literary fiction fan.
  • You love stories with multiple storylines.
  • You like family stories.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "A savage rape on hallowed ground. Secrets buried for decades by the town’s most influential family.

Now Ourania D’Andre will learn the Great Oak’s secrets as construction begins at the Fagan mansion. She can’t afford to turn down a job that promises to stir up the long-buried guilt—and the passion—she shares with powerful Troy Fagan.

She’s already juggling the most important job of her career with her new responsibilities as a foster mother for young Walt and Emma Korchek. And there’s a hard, older man on the construction crew with eyes void of emotion—cold and killing. The secrets of his brutal past will pose a grave threat to the children in her care. Will she find the courage to face him?"


My Two Cents:

I really, really liked this book. It's the sort of book where you get so entranced in the various storylines that you don't realize how much time has gone by as you're reading the book. At first we're following the storyline of Ourania, an electrician who likes being on her own with no ties. Suddenly she becomes the guardian of two foster children. At almost the same time, she's thrust into confronting some painful subjects from the past and comes into contact with some information that could change the lives of those that's she's close to and those that she's not so close to. There's a lot going on in this story but the storylines are so well woven together that the book as a whole works really well.

The characters are really great. I really liked Ourania, the main character in The Tree of Everlasting Knowledge. She's tough but as we see in the book, she does have a soft and loving side; especially when it comes to Walt and Emma, the foster children that she takes in at the request of her mother, the head of the town's child protective services organization. She's a really unique character but I did find myself confused about some of her motives. I don't want to give anything away about this book (the twists and turns should stay a surprise) but when Ourania becomes the owner of some information about Troy, her boss on the job to renovate his family's grand home, she doesn't seem to hesitate too long to tell Troy. In this specific case, I'm not sure that it was Ourania's business to tell Troy, especially when her relationship with Troy is so rocky. At first it seems like Ourania is almost being mean to Troy in a way just because their relationship is so bad. Everything turns out okay but it just seemed strange that she jumped right in to sharing such startling news. I do wish that there had been more of an explanation.

The writing definitely helps to carry the story. Between the writing and a fantastic storyline with a good dose of twists and turns and you have a great book!


  

9 comments:

  1. Meg,

    As always, you're the go-to girl for great reads any bibliophile is happy to place on her TBR pile. A thousand thanks for your lovely review of my latest release.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I love the format you use - especially the 'why you are reading this' part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love twisty turny novels :)

    It's great that you review so many self-published and indie books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here.

      With regard to the self-published and indie books, with the way publishing is going these days, you never know what you might miss out on by not being open to the indies and self-publishers!

      Delete
    2. Kat,

      As an Indie novelist, I strive to find the reviewers who will give my books a chance. Meg is a gem. Open-minded, fair--she's a great reviewer. I'm placing both my debut, Treasure Me, and now Tree, in national contests. Keeping my fingers crossed!

      Delete
  4. Great review! I'm reading the book now as well, and it's had me staying up until the wee hours. I loved Christine's debut, Treasure Me, and Tree definitely continues to illustrate her talent for creating memorable characters and rich, powerful storylines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casee Marie, you're another one of those fabulous go-to reviewers! I can't wait to read your review once you've finished reading. And I can't help but wonder ... when will YOU write a novel? It's in the cards, isn't it? xo

      Delete
    2. I really enjoyed Treasure Me as well!

      Delete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...