Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Literary Locale: Michaelangelo's Italy



It's been a little bit since I've done Literary Locale. Yesterday I reviewed The King's Agent, which mostly takes place in Italy. One thing you should know about me is that I will not pass up a chance to talk about Italy. Back in 2010, I traveled to a couple places in Italy and to London with my husband for our honeymoon. So every place that we visited is very near and dear to my heart.

Michaelangelo is famous both for his paintings and his sculpture. He was definitely a renaissance man!

Here's a self portrait of Michaelangelo

One of the most impressive displays of his art is the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican complex in Rome. Although the chapel itself is pretty small in size (it was shocking to see it in person; I had it in my mind that it was a lot bigger), almost every inch of it is covered in paintings.

This room packs a punch! (link)

Here's the ceiling and yes, he painted this while lying on his back (link)

One thing I can say is that Michaelangelo has way more patience than I do!

Where are you reading this week?

7 comments:

  1. Wow, beautiful pictures! I would love to visit Italy one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really amazing place. I went to Rome, Assisi, and Venice. Next time I go, I want to go back to Rome and to Tuscany.

      Delete
  2. Such a great idea! How did I miss this? I hope you will do this one again - I would love to post something maybe from The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel which takes place in Bangalore, Italy or the first Maisie Dobbs which is mostly London, and we've just traveled to France!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely feel free to grab the literary locale logo and go to town. I had been trying to put up a post weekly. I'm going to try to do better with that!

      Delete
  3. I traveled to London and Italy with my family in 2007 right after my college graduation, and both places are very near and dear to my heart, too! :) It was amazing seeing the Sistine Chapel... it was hard to believe I was actually there. I agree that it was much smaller than I expected, but still so cool! Even with dozens of people in the room, all staring at the ceiling, the chapel was remarkably quiet and calm. Everyone was entranced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm anxious to go back to both places. I got to see a lot of Rome but I feel like I missed a lot in London. I'm a total anglophile so I have a list about a mile long of places and things I want to see.

      Delete
  4. I went to Rome a few years ago and loved it (apart from most people not being able to speak English and my Italian is a mish mash of random Puccini lyrics - mostly Turandot - which, strangely enough, delighted them all). But I'd love to go back (and hppefully will, soon).

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...