Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Review: An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Title: An Abundance of Katherines
Author: John Green
Publisher: Dutton Books
Publish Date: October 1, 2006
Source: Library



Why You're Reading This Book:
  • You're a young adult fiction fan.
  • You like quirky books.
  • You like great characters.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "In this new novel from the acclaimed author of "Looking for Alaska," Colin Singleton always falls for girls named Katherine--and he's been dumped 19 times, to be exact. Letting expectations go and allowing love are in the heart of his hilarious quest to find his missing piece and avenge dumpees everywhere."

My Two Cents:

Take a road trip plus a former child prodigy who wants to create a theorem for why he got dumped plus an awesome best friend who won't let the former child prodigy dwell and you have a great book in An Abundance of Katherines.

I really liked this book. It's a great young adult book with a good storyline but the real star of the book is the writing. I found myself chuckling to myself a lot throughout the book (okay, okay, and sometimes I was laughing out loud). The writing is so witty and so funny. John Green has a way with words. His writing really brings the characters to life. Each character has a really different personality. I absolutely loved Hassan, Colin's best friend. Colin is kind of serious and almost takes himself way too seriously (and this characteristic sometimes took away from the book). Hassan is constantly cracking jokes and brightening the mood of the book. He's definitely a breath of fresh air.

I've been meaning to read some John Green after hearing so many good things about the guy from so many of my fellow book bloggers. I was so glad to finally get around to reading one of his books. After reading this book, I know I need to read more! I'm so glad that he's now on my reading radar!


  

19 comments:

  1. This was a fun read when I listened to the audio several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't listen to a lot of audiobooks but I imagine this would be a fun one.

      Delete
  2. Is this your first John Green? I love this one (I love them all!), but honestly I love the others even better...so if you like this one you're CERTAIN to love the rest even more! John Green is my favorite (along with Patrick Ness).

    Love that you read this one!!! Makes me so happy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first John Green! I definitely will be reading more. I think I want to read The Fault in Our Stars. I've been hearing a lot of good things about it.

      Delete
  3. I just finished this one also, which I read after I fell in love with John Green over The Fault in Our Stars. And I agree - Hassan is just the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that I want to read The Fault in Our Stars next!

      Delete
  4. Looks like I really need to read more John Green! I've only read Will Grayson, Will Grayson but haven't read any that he's authored alone. Maybe this would be a good one to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first John Green book so I can't really speak to which one you should start out with!

      Delete
  5. Oh gosh, I really want to read this one! I've read Will Grayson and The Fault in Our Stars and I simply must read more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read The Fault in Our Stars next. I've heard so many good things about it!

      Delete
  6. I haven't read any John Green yet, but this one is on my TBR. I guess I need to just give in and read a book of his one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After hearing so much buzz from fellow book bloggers, I knew I wanted to pick up one of his books. I will definitely be reading more!

      Delete
  7. Great Review. I will have to add this to my TBR list. I recently read my first John Green book( The Fault In Our Stars) and fell in love with his writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been hearing so many good things about The Fault in Our Stars that I think that needs to be my next John Green read!

      Delete
  8. I've never read any John Green, but obviously his name has been all over the place lately. 19 Katherines? That's a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, it's sort of an interesting premise. Katherine doesn't seem to be all that common of a name anymore.

      Delete
  9. I REALLY wish I could like John Green's books! I feel so left out because everyone loves them but I just can't get into them at all. The only one I managed to read in full was 'Paper Towns' and I really didn't enjoy it. I may give this one a go as the premise sounds interesting and you've said some lovely things! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should try it. I don't think I've heard much at all about Paper Towns but I've heard tons of good things about The Fault in Our Stars.

      Delete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...