Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Review: Saving Abby by Steena Holmes

Title: Saving Abby
Author: Steena Holmes
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Lake Union Publishing
Publish Date: May 31, 2016
Source: Publisher



What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "All children’s book illustrator Claire Turner ever wanted was to be a mother. After six years of trying to conceive, she and her husband, Josh, have finally accepted that she will never be pregnant with a child of their own.

Yet once they give up hope, the couple gets the miracle they’ve been waiting for. For the first few months of her pregnancy, Claire and Josh are living on cloud nine. But when she begins to experience debilitating headaches, blurred vision, and even fainting spells, the soon-to-be mother goes to the doctor and receives a terrifying diagnosis. Since any treatment could put their unborn baby’s life at risk, the Turners must carefully weigh their limited options. And as her symptoms worsen, Claire will have to make an impossible decision: Save her own life, or save her child’s?"


My Two Cents:

"Saving Abby" is a tearjerker of a book. After a long time of struggling with infertility, Claire and Josh finally are able to get pregnant. They are incredibly excited as their entire life shifts. Furthermore, they will do anything to ensure that the baby is born healthy so when Claire is diagnosed with a very aggressive form of brain cancer, they know they have to act quickly in order to save the baby but they may not be able to save Claire in the process.

Like I said this book is definitely a tearjerker and as a mother it definitely brought tears to my eyes. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to struggle with something like this when you're trying to have a child. All in all, I really liked the book. I really appreciated that the way that the author was able to elicit my emotions throughout the book. This book definitely pulled on my heartstrings.

I liked the characters but both of the main characters Josh and Claire seemed a little flat to me. I would like to get to know both of the characters a little bit better in order to understand them better and perhaps even feel for them a bit more. Rheir situation is so heartbreaking that you are still pulled into the story. Overall, I thought this was a good book especially if you're looking for a good cry.


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...