Thursday, January 14, 2016

Review: Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay

Title: Bad Feminist
Author: Roxane Gay
Format: Hardcover
Publisher: Harper Perennial
Publish Date: August 5, 2014
Source: Library

What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "In these funny and insightful essays, Roxane Gay takes us through the journey of her evolution as a woman of color while also taking readers on a ride through culture of the last few years and commenting on the state of feminism today. The portrait that emerges is not only one of an incredibly insightful woman continually growing to understand herself and our society, but also one of our culture."

My Two Cents:

"Bad Feminist" is a collection of essays by Roxanne Gay. I had heard a ton about this book and even before I read it, I was following Gay on Twitter (which is a great idea). She always has the funniest, most insightful things to say about a broad variety of topics. I was excited to see how her wit and wisdom translated to some long form essays. The good news is that it translates really, really well. I really enjoyed this collection and definitely recommend it! 

This collection is filled with essays that made me laugh and make me think a lot about my place in the world is a woman. Gay is a fantastic writer who writes in such a way that her words really come to life! I love that her ideas are incredibly vivid. It's hard to single out a single essay that I liked best. I liked the funny essays that make me laugh out loud. I also liked the essays that were on more serious topics and those ones had a tendency to make me think a lot. There is a little something for everyone here.

This book will have me thinking for a long time and I am excited to read more by Gay in the future. This book is an incredibly important one for today's modern feminists and women would do well to read this book.


1 comment:

  1. I loved this book, too! Such a great read. And I love reading her tweets :) So glad you enjoyed it as well!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...