Friday, December 20, 2013

Review: Until We End by Frankie Brown

Title: Until We End
Author: Frankie Brown
Format: Ebook
Publisher: Bloomsbury Spark
Publish Date: December 2013
Source: I received a copy from the publisher; however, this did not affect my review.






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a YA fiction fan.
  • You're a dystopian fan.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "It’s been nine months since the virus hit, killing almost everyone it touched. Seventeen-year-old Cora and her little brother, Coby, haven’t left home since. Not after the power cut out; not even after sirens faded in the distance and the world outside their backyard fence fell silent.
But when a blistering drought forces Cora to go in search of water, she discovers that the post-apocalyptic world isn’t as deserted as she thought when she meets Brooks, a drop-dead sexy army deserter.

Fighting their way back home, Cora finds her house ransacked and Coby missing – kidnapped by the military for dangerous medical experiments in the name of a cure. Brooks knows exactly where Cora can find her brother, except it’s a suicide mission. Cora doesn’t care. But Brooks can’t let her go…"


My Two Cents:

"Until the End" is a dystopian book that takes place after a virus has almost wiped out the entire population. Unlike a lot of other dystopian books, this book seems to take place in the nearer future, like the really near future, which makes it a little creepier. My fellow dystopian lovers will also enjoy this tale.

I really, really like the main character, Cora. She and her brother, Coby, are left behind by their doctor father to fend for themselves. Cora's dad was a prepper and said that they should never leave their house. When Cora leaves, it starts a domino effect of issues that move the book along. Cora is smart and brave and I loved following her through this book.

I did find myself wishing that the book went into a little bit more about the virus and how many people it had affected. I didn't really get much of a sense of the virus was localized or if it had spread throughout the entire country or world. I feel that if I had known more about the virus, I would have understood what was going on a little bit better.

Dystopian is one of my favorite genres to read about but sometimes a lot of them feel the same as each other. What I appreciated about this book is that it felt like something that could actually happen. A pandemic is a very possible threat. This book is YA fiction but probably is best for older YA readers as some of the book is there some violence. There are not any future books listed on Goodreads or Amazon that I could find but with the way this book ends (somewhat of a cliffhanger), I really feel like there could be a future book. Count me among those rooting for a sequel!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...