Sunday, March 23, 2014

Spring Equinox Midnight Witch Tour!

I am very excited to be a part of the tour for "The Midnight Witch" by Paula Brackston!

Title: The Midnight Witch
Author:  Paula Brackston
Format: Hardcover
Publisher: Thomas Dunne
Publish Date: March 25, 2014
Source: I received a copy from the publisher; however, this did not affect my review.


What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: ""The dead are seldom silent. All that is required for them to be heard is that someone be willing to listen. I have been listening to the dead all my life."

Lilith is the daughter of the sixth Duke of Radnor. She is one of the most beautiful young women in London and engaged to the city’s most eligible bachelor. She is also a witch.

When her father dies, her hapless brother Freddie takes the title. But it is Lilith, instructed in the art of necromancy, who inherits their father’s role as Head Witch of the Lazarus Coven. And it is Lilith who must face the threat of the Sentinels, a powerful group of sorcerers intent on reclaiming the Elixir from the coven’s guardianship for their own dark purposes. Lilith knows the Lazarus creed: secrecy and silence. To abandon either would put both the coven and all she holds dear in grave danger. She has spent her life honoring it, right down to her charming fiancé and fellow witch, Viscount Louis Harcourt.

Until the day she meets Bram, a talented artist who is neither a witch nor a member of her class. With him, she must not be secret and silent. Despite her loyalty to the coven and duty to her family, Lilith cannot keep her life as a witch hidden from the man she loves.

To tell him will risk everything."


My Two Cents:

"The Midnight Witch" is the story of Lilith. She is just really coming into her own with her powers when she inherits the leadership position of her coven. She is not really sure what to do with this new found power and has a lot to contend with in order to make sure that the coven continues the way that it is supposed to. Add to that she falls in love with someone that is not from her world and does not really understand where she is coming from and you have an interesting tale that kept me reading.

I really enjoyed the blend of historical fiction with an element of the mystic and the magical. I don't often read books with such an overt magical element but I really enjoyed this book for that factor. It definitely made for an interesting read. I really thought that the author brought Lilith's witch world to life for me. I liked how fact and fiction were blended in this book. This book is set in London, which is one of my very favorite places to read about and I really liked reading about historic London alongside magic. It was really neat!

Overall, I thought this was a good read. The book had a couple of slow sections interspersed between some of the really exciting sections of the book. It felt a little uneven. The action in the book was good though. I really liked reading about what Lilith's coven was all about. This book would be a good pick for historical fiction lovers who are looking for a bit of the fantastic with their reading!



Links:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...