Monday, March 31, 2014

Review: Blackwell's Paradise by V.E. Ulett

Title: Blackwell's Paradise
Author: V.E. Ulett
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Old Salt Press
Publish Date: January 31, 2014
Source: I received a copy from the author; however, this did not affect my review.






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a historical fiction fan.
  • You want some adventure!
  • You're an armchair traveler.
  • You're looking for a little romance.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Relive the pleasure of falling into the past with the author of Captain Blackwell’s Prize, in Volume II of Blackwell’s Adventures.

The repercussions of a court martial and the ill-will of powerful men at the Admiralty pursue Royal Navy captain James Blackwell into the Pacific, where danger lurks around every coral reef. Even if Captain Blackwell and Mercedes survive the venture into the world of early nineteenth century exploration, can they emerge unchanged with their love intact. The mission to the Great South Sea will test their loyalties and strength, and define the characters of Captain Blackwell and his lady in Blackwell’s Paradise."


My Two Cents:

"Blackwell's Paradise" is the second book in V.E. Ulett's Blackwell's Adventures series. This was another exciting addition to Captain Blackwell's tales and I am already looking forward to more (will there be more? please!). Although this is a second book in the series, this book works as a standalone but you should really read the first book in the series if you like historical fiction, romance, and adventure.

You have to love an adventure on the high seas. There is so much excitement and so much dangerous and I really enjoyed reading all about it. This book is full of great historical detail that I ate up. I especially liked reading about Captain Blackwell and Mercedes, his wife, in Hawaii. I haven't read a lot of fiction set in Hawaii, especially not set during this time period so I really enjoyed this (love, love, love something new). Ulett added a lot of good detail to this book that really brought it to life for me.

This book finds Captain Blackwell and Mercedes on another adventure. Their love has grown and they are seemingly even more enamored in this book. I loved the love story between them. I like both of their characters but Mercedes continued to be very interesting to me in this book. She is so strong and you really get to see that once they get to Hawaii and start interacting with the natives.

This is a fantastic series when you're looking to just get lost in an adventure! 


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...