Monday, April 29, 2013

Review: Children of the Underground by Trevor Shane

Title: Children of the Underground
Author: Trevor Shane
Format: Paperback
Publisher: NAL Trade
Publish Date: April 2, 2013
Source: I received a copy from the publisher; however, this did not affect my review.





Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a fiction fan.
  • You're a dystopian fan.
  • You like action.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "The war had been raging for as long as anyone could remember. The secret, endless war between two opposing sides—one good, one evil. Neither side knows which is which; it is kill or be killed in an invisible conflict where assassination is the weapon of choice.

When she was just seventeen, Maria was pulled into this secret war and they killed her lover and stole her child. Now they are telling her to go home. To ignore what she knows is going on in the shadows all around her. They told Maria to forget all she’d lost. The trouble is, some things simply can’t be forgotten.

Now, with a loose-cannon killer at her side, Maria is going to do whatever it takes to get back what belongs to her. And that means starting a war of her own…"


My Two Cents:

 "Children of the Underground" is the second book in the Children of Paranoia series by Trevor Shane. The Children of Paranoia series is an action packed, dystopian series that's geared for adults. I really enjoyed the first book in the series and have been eagerly anticipating this latest book. Needless to say, I was not disappointed and now I'm awaiting the next book in the series. Before delving into "Children of the Underground," you should read "Children of Paranoia" in order to fully grasp the world of the books. It has been almost two years since I read "Children of Paranoia" and even I was sort of wishing that I had re-read it before digging into "Children of the Underground."

Most of the story is told from the point of view of Maria. I loved, loved, loved her as the narrator. I really, really liked her character. She is pretty young but she is so strong and so brave. You really have to admire her. She has a lot of chances to run away from the war that she really has no dog in but she is willing to put herself in danger fighting for what she believes in. It's definitely a difficult road to go. In this book, she is mainly trying to find her son, Christopher, who was taken from her as a baby after her husband, Joseph is killed.

I liked this book a little bit better than "Children of Paranoia." While the first book was very solid, I thought that you got a much better sense of the characters like Maria and Michael. There is not as much world building, which I missed but again, if you've read the first book, you know what the world looks like. And I must mention that I did like that some parts of the book took place in D.C. (although Crystal City is not within walking distance of Georgetown unless you really want a long walk). Meridian Hill park, which is also mentioned, is one of my very favorite places in D.C. and after reading this book, I am not sure I'm going to be able to see it the same way after reading this book!

Overall: This is a great pick for when you want your dystopian with a whole lot of action!


 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great review. I get really excited when a woman tells me that I successfully pulled off having a female narrator. It's a little intimidating in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...