Saturday, May 26, 2012

Review: Scarlett Fever by Maureen Johnson

Title: Scarlett Fever
Author: Maureen Johnson
Format: Hardcover
Publisher: Scholastic Point
Publish Date: February 1, 2010
Source: Library






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You're a young adult fiction fan.
  • You're looking for a light, fun read.
 What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "Ever since Mrs. Amberson, the former-aspiring-actress-turned-agent, entered Scarlett Martin's life, nothing has been the same.


She's still in charge of the Empire Suite in her family's hotel, but she's now also Mrs. Amberson's assistant, running around town for her star client, Chelsea - a Broadway star Scarlett's age with a knack for making her feel insignificant.


Scarlett's also trying to juggle sophomore year classes, her lab partner who is being just a little TOO nice, and getting over the boy who broke her heart.

In the midst of all this, her parents drop a bombshell that threatens to change her New York life forever..."

My Two Cents:

This book is the sequel to Suite Scarlett, which I read a couple months ago. While I don't think it's absolutely necessary to read the first book, I think you'll have a much more enjoyable experience if you do. What I mean by that is that you won't be confused necessarily if you just read this book but Suite Scarlett is such a fun book that I think you'll be sad if you don't read it as well.

The book picks right up where the first book left off. Suite Scarlett didn't really have a cliffhanger at the end so it's easy to jump right in to the second book as if it's a different episode in the life of Scarlett and her crazy family and not really a direct continuation of Suite Scarlett. I sort of like books like that. I loved the characters so much in Suite Scarlett that I was excited to get back to them. It's so nice when you feel that way about characters, no?

I love Johnson's writing style and know that I will be on the look out for more of her books.

This is a fun read, perfect for when the weather is a little warmer and you need a light read.


 

3 comments:

  1. I've never read a Maureen Johnson book before and this series sounds like a great place to start!

    Definitely adding to my beach TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like everything of hers that I've read. Her books are just fun!

      Delete
  2. This book is part of the Suite Scarlett series - which is a book I saw at my local bookstore, but for some reason, never picked up. So, I was a little worried about reading Scarlett Fever first. I need not have worried, as Scarlett Fever can easily be read "out of sequence".

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...