Tuesday, May 22, 2012

As the Blog Turns

This morning, I made an executive decision and decisions do not come easily to me so this is very exciting. I've decided not to accept books for all of August.

I've been sort of overwhelmed with all of the review requests I've been getting. Here's the problem: I love doing these reviews and reading books that may not yet be known by a wider audience but it's a lot of work. On top of that, my TBR list just keeps growing and growing and I haven't been able to do much of anything about it. I have stacks and stacks of books that have been on the TBR for a ridiculous amount of time. I'm posting new reviews almost everyday for books that I've been solicited to review (#bookbloggerproblems, I know) and I'm booked through July.

So as of right now, I'll finish my obligations for July and then I'll have all of August to read and review what I want to read when I want to read it! Guys, I joined a TBR challenge at the beginning of the year and since you can't count library books, I am seriously failing! I need to get on that.

Here's how I hope I'm feeling in September:


So, what do you all do when you get overwhelmed?

13 comments:

  1. I've noticed a lot of review books on your blog lately! I think it'll be a nice change of pace for you to get to some of your TBR (I'm also doing the Mount TBR Challenge). I think I need to do the opposite and get to some review books...haha, whups!

    Book blogger problems indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just get really excited about supporting new books and new authors. It's hard for me to say no!

      Delete
  2. I can understand how you feel. I try to mix up a review book, and personal book but sometimes review books trump personal copies. I hope you get to recharge and enjoy the books on your tbr pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I need to get through the review books quicker so I don't disappoint with long lead times.

      Delete
  3. I'm in the same boat except you read much faster than I do (which is probably why I'm behind in the first place!). I'm planning to stop accepting review books too but probably for longer than a month. Happy recharging!
    NC
    Truly Bookish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's good to have balance when it comes to reading. I hope you have a good recharge as well!

      Delete
  4. I think it's a great decision. I know you probably don't accept all books for review, but if it gets overwhelming it's better to take some time off before it gets boring.

    When I get overwhelmed I lie in bed and watch The Golden Girls until I feel better. always works.

    Also, that kitten is the cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely don't take every book I get for review; I just couldn't do it. You're so right; I don't want to get bored so recharging should be good for me.

      Golden Girls is a solid show!!!

      Delete
  5. I think it is awesome. I only book 8 reviews a month...that way i can read my books too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're wise to know your limits and give yourself a break! I'm really, really bad about overextending myself -- I just hate saying "no." Of course when I accept books for review, it could be months -- or even years -- before I get to them. I make no bones about that, though; I mean, we're not professionals. We're book lovers doing the best we can. I'm sure you'll feel energized after your August break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have a hard time saying no in all facets of my life. I hate being disappointing!

      Delete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...